SGI: Development

efteepee 0.1 - An FTP client for IRIX

Hello All,

Did some more digital spelunking on redbox and found the sources for a little IRIX FTP client thing I was working on last year. It's still very early stages ie. it can login to and browse a remote FTP server, but file transfer isn't implemented yet. Nonetheless, I thought I'd share... who knows, somebody might want to toss a few lines of code into the hat :)

Notes are in the README.

Enjoy,

Jimmer

I spent another few hours with the code: made it less braindead and have managed to get some sort of download function going. But it gives up on big files and uploading seems entirely stuck. If somebody who actually knows what they are doing can have a look... I'll be glad to receive any advice on how to proceed.

There's a minor improvement in vknew that efteepee 0.2 needs, so I've attached that too.

enjoy,

Jimmer

More like necrophilia, I'm afraid :D

Quote:
There's a minor improvement in vknew ...

Are you using RapidApp, Jimmer ? or getting Viewkit elsewhere ?

Who doesn't have Viewkit? :P I've even got the free-for-Linux version that they released for about 15 minutes back in the 90's, also got the $250-for-Linux version of BX Pro that they released at the same time. RapidApp is nice but it's C++ only and BX Pro makes it look like a child's toy...

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
... also got the $250-for-Linux version of BX Pro that they released at the same time. RapidApp is nice but it's C++ only and BX Pro makes it look like a child's toy...

BX as in Builder Xcessory, as in from ICS in Cambridge, MA? Worked there briefly, really fun place to be back in 1994. Oh, the machines I should have rescued from them a few years later...

I use nedit and a couple of winterms, and I get my ViewKit straight out of stock IRIX. After all, it's just a library with some headers and the ViewKit manual is very good. I don't feel like I'm missing much by not using a UI-builder tool like RapidApp or BXPro.

In the end, my issue isn't with the UI part of things, rather it's with C++ which I find to be a very complicated and hoop-jumpy set of languages.

It's all still very primitive and fragile and for some reason when completing an upload the remote filelist doesn't update, but here's the next tarball.

Not being critical (I'm not even qualified to comment !), was just curious.

RapidApp is pretty simple for us dummies, in case someone else wants to get their fingers wet.

Quote:
In the end, my issue isn't with the UI part of things, rather it's with C++ which I find to be a very complicated and hoop-jumpy set of languages.

there's always FORTRAN :D

Yup, Builder Xcessory from ICS. I was in pretty close contact with Mark Hatch (their prez) for a while back when he used to post to the comp.windows.x.motif NG, and their engineers very kindly assisted me in getting BX running on my Slackware box, which is not one of their supported platforms. In recent years they've gone off the deep end with their stewardship of Motif 2.x, and Arron Hsu (another formerly active poster to comp.windows.x.motif) posted a highly critical and indignant rant about it that everyone should read: http://fixunix.com/motif/350924-openmotif-2-3-vs-2-1-30-argument.html

I have not been able to find any independent verification of his claim about the helicopter crash, but I've not asked Arron about it either, he would doubtless provide verification if asked. Which is to say I think it happened just as he described.

vishnu wrote:
In recent years they've gone off the deep end with their stewardship of Motif 2.x, ...

Aaron's rant appears to be from 2008 - just over 5 years ago. Hey, I have to remind myself how long ago that was now too... :D

Bummer - the whole thing seems pretty sad.

From 2008 yes but little has changed, TOG still lists Motif 2.2.x as "experimental," motifzone.net (now motif.ics.com) is a morgue and all the development at ICS is on their QT and GTK gui builders. But as I keep repeating the two biggest commercial apps on Unix, Pro/Engineer and Maya, still use Motif and Xt, so, there it stands... :|