SGI: Development

basic language - Page 2

Children want to see / hear things asap, so I guess most programming language would be boring...

But what about Javascript/DHTML?

You don't even need a compiler for that just a text editor and a Firefox installation will do. Plus there's a lot of tutorial and examples on the net that can help get your kids started quick.
nvukovlj wrote: Suggesting that assembler should be used after BASIC was funny though. We are no longer in the 80's...
Nik.

Hi Nik,
As weird as it seems, skipping Assembly is the reason why there are a lot of mediocre programmers.

Your sentence sounds like: "To learn how to drive a car, it is not a good idea to study how the engine works because we are no longer in the 80's".
(Actually eighteen-80's :) ).
Modern general-purpose scripting languages however do allow you to get 'real' things done quickly and therefore results can be demonstrated quickly.

Basic can get 'real' things done quickly as well!!!! Normally straight from the switch on and beep, not 10 mins to boot, load bloat OS etc etc...The joy of Beeb!

A good grounding in assembler does no harm what so ever! Remember they are more PICs and embedded microcontrolers doing stuff than big PC based stuff with bloated OS..
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
go from the basic to an assembly language ???? hummm

as far i remember, the best way is to use a C=64....... :D
lda #$00 sta+53280 is faster than poke 53280,0..........and C64 use only poke & peek for sound and video effect :)

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb
Only for fun - but a friend of mine keeps claiming that Basic is just a state of mind :D
About 40% of Americans deny evolution. Sad.
One of the archives... comp.sources, I think... has a few YACC grammars for BASIC.
Off you go, see you in a months time..

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000
I wouldn't demand complete proficiency in assembler, but understanding assembler is understanding what the computer is doing at the instruction level, and that is valuable in teaching you to think like a computer.

At the same time, I don't think I would necessarily do assembler on an OS, especially not one like UNIX, but something like a Z80 or 6800-family system (or emulator) would give a good foundation in how computers work on the software level.

My uni started you off on Ada (back when they had a Sun, don't know what they use now), and I didn't quite understand that.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
yes

it's where i start to teach computing to my wife....after boolean math
but it's not really easy to understand when you aren"t familliar with

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb
BASIC is the devil.
So is Pascal.

Dijkstra wrote: It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Now I don't completely agree with that, but basic is not the best choice for beginners instruction.
I would tend to python.

Now don't say that OOP isn't for children: You don't have to use OOP in python at all.
And python does not train your mind into the limitations basic (or even C/C++) has - like types or brackets.

int oneInt = 1;
char oneChar = '1';
if (oneInt == oneChar) {

Barkas wrote: And python does not train your mind into the limitations basic (or even C/C++) has - like types or brackets.
}
else {

.. Types and brackets are NOT a limitation :)
}