On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Integral Ethernet: ec3, version 1
GIO 100BaseTX Fast Ethernet: gfe0
Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
# diskpatch -v
sc0d1l0:  Disk         ATA     SAMSUNG HM320II 111P  Serial: S1X4J90S
This is of course a modified processor board. I was lucky to find a 200mhz R5000 CPU to replace the original 180mhz version. Since the CPU don't become hot, I run it without heat sink. The maximum temperature I was able to measure at the CPU cap was 42 degree Celsius.

The total power consumption of this Challenge S is 46W when it is idle and goes up to 55W under load. It's most probably the cheapest way to run a SGI server 24h per day.

The system was used in my company more than 10 years ago as a web server. Today it still runs at my home absolutely stable.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
What's in the (I assume) SCSI enclosure below? CD-ROM and another hard disk?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Very nice! We used nearly identical hardware (180 MHz) to host the corporate R&D intranet portal for a German pharmaceuticals firm around 1996-1998. When retired from industrial service, the machine served for several years as a failover router between my home network and my redundant DSL and cable internet connections. When I needed a faster router, the Challenge S found a new life as a very capable print server.
ClassicHasClass wrote: What's in the (I assume) SCSI enclosure below? CD-ROM and another hard disk?

Yes, a CD-ROM and two more hard disks. It's not connected to the Challenge permanently, I use it for backup and for installation.
diegel wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote: What's in the (I assume) SCSI enclosure below? CD-ROM and another hard disk?

Yes, a CD-ROM and two more hard disks. It's not connected to the Challenge permanently, I use it for backup and for installation.

was that something you could get from sgi or is it custom built ?
:Octane: R12K/400 Octane, 1024MB, 36GB 15K MAX3036NC , MXI
Nice Challenge, with the SATA mode and the 100Mbit networking. I used FDDI for fast(er) networking in mine.

diegel wrote: This is of course a modified processor board. I was lucky to find a 200mhz R5000 CPU to replace the original 180mhz version. Since the CPU don't become hot, I run it without heat sink. The maximum temperature I was able to measure at the CPU cap was 42 degree Celsius.

I wouldn't worry about the CPU, after all it was designed to run at that speed (although probably design to work with a heatsink...). But I guess you replaced the oscillator and now you're overclocking the L2 cache? Or did you change a divider somewhere?

Did the CPU come from an O2 or something?
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Dans34 wrote:
diegel wrote:

was that something you could get from sgi or is it custom built ?

It's a challenge vault. From SGI. Tho I admit I've never seen a vault S in person before..
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
jan-jaap wrote: Did the CPU come from an O2 or something?

Yes I replaced the oscillator from a dead 150mhz CPU board. The CPU is not from SGI. I don't know if an O2 with a 200mhz PGA CPU exists, I have only seen 200mhz R5000 in BGA package in O2s.
That is a very nice system indeed!
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
I really like this system! Good job with the CPU, I'd never be game to run it without a heat-sink (although I'm sure it would be fine).
:Octane: R12K 300 MHz, 1 GB RAM, SE+T
:Indigo2IMP: R10K 195MHz, 320MB RAM, Solid Impact
:O2: R10K 175MHz, 256MB RAM, CRM
:Indy: R4400 200MHz, 256MB RAM, XZ
I'm jealous! I'd love to do both the SATA and 200mhz cpu to my Indy. I'll have to boot it this summer and see how the poor thing is doing. I'd love to know more about a source for the CPU.

-Mike
Thanks, for all the replies.
mgtremaine wrote: I'd love to know more about a source for the CPU.
I simply find it on ebay.