SGI: Computer Graphics

OT: Microsoft takes aim at OpenGL

Looks like Micro$haft is up to their old tricks again:

"Microsoft weakens OpenGL - Vista could be part of a D3D push"

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25215

I guess 99.8% of the market just isn't enough...

:evil:

-zolo
that's not exactly true,
they want to scrap openGL and use something new(and proprietry)

it's said that if you install GL drivers (from nvidia for example) it will break the other system and kill all the eye-candy.

some people think it's a first-step to trying to get the hardware people to adopt there standard(if that's the correct word) instead of GL.

as this will break most decent games & cad packages i think it's a great idea,
the sooner the better - then all the windowz people can switch o Linux/Apple. :D
Seems like every year it makes less and less sense to run a Microsoft OS. While they focus on imposing their proprietary standards and forcing users to upgrade, the Linux / Unix standard is gaining ground in everything from cell phones to corporate networks. It runs on just about anything, more and more companies are porting their software over to it, and best of all it's cheap. How much longer will people keep paying for something they can get for free?

Vista might be the first Windows release to fizzle. Or at least I hope so.
Btw, they cant call it Vista.

that name is already in use by 2 software company's and by philips electronics.

they where warned about this breach 2 days ago. :P
with every new os release by the evil m$ it's no wonder that a large percentage of computers today are STILL running windows 95
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
<rant>

Goddamn I f*cking hate Macro$haft more and more every minute. :evil: Glad as hell I don't use their shit. Besides, DX sucks, and they're just trying to be the only game platform again now that macs are closing in. Kill OGL? What a stupid idea! There goes Cinema 4D and a bunch of other programs!
:!: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Every os release they just fuck the customer deeper and deeper in the ass!

WHERE'S THE CLASS ACTION SUIT! Goddamnit they fucking lied when they said they couldn't dis-integrate IE from windows, and now they're integrating more shit! SOMEONE NEEDS TO SPLIT THEM UP! :x

Unfortunately with George W. Bushlicker in office, aka the corporate whore, that's unlikely to happen.

Fuck this shit.

</rant>
:OnyxR: :Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :ChallengeL: :Onyx2: :PI: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :pdp8e: :Cube:
People have the power to make change.
A good boycott on m$ goods, with wide and convincing coverage would make a difference.

There's many examples out there...

http://www.boycottgillette.com/

http://www.billoreilly.com/site/product?pid=18704

http://www.boycottmadeinchina.org/
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
zahal wrote: People have the power to make change.
A good boycott on m$ goods, with wide and convincing coverage would make a difference.

This will never happen as the general masses have been brainwashed by microsucks products for the past 15 years and that's all they know, thats all thats advertised.
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
M$FT is like heroin its addictive and self destructive.

Ive been clean for two years and am proud of it!
Intel-OUTSIDE wrote: Btw, they cant call it Vista.

that name is already in use by 2 software company's and by philips electronics.

they where warned about this breach 2 days ago. :P

it is also the brand name of a colour film by Agfa... (a good one for non-professionals, btw). But I bet that Agfa, which is in financial troubles due to all these crappy digital cameras, won't have the money to sue microsoft.
Steady there, Ian_finder...

I do not want this thread to go down by politics again. Please refrain from dragging US history into the Microsoft Corporate World Business Strategy Leveraging Crap Software Thingy.

Rebooted my NT server yesterday, because the print spooler partout refused to serve our spools after the move.
Needless to say, i'm secretly converting all spoolers to my O200 Cups server. Hope my esteemed colleague doesn't notice :twisted:
I've sen Vista run yesterday. Jeez, what a bunch of shait. It's the same as XP except heavier and uglier.
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
no, ian's right.

but microsoft isnt the problem - they are greedy fucks but the real problem is the computer makers.

if dell(slave prison labour) and compaq(corporate assholes) and hp(incompetent designers) want to ship windows in all there shit then fine.
but by not offering those same machines without the crap inorder to get some legally questionable deal with microfuck then they are the problem.

imagine this was about car-radio's.
would it be legal if phillips had there units fitted in every western car ever made by paying the makers not to use anything else?

funny actually they almost do, but they are rebranded to names like "ford sound x000" :(

but the point is, by forcing the software into the hardware at the manufacturing stage they are removing the customers choice for the majority of people.

how many people here know that dell(u.k.) claim that removing the factory windows install from there laptops invalidates the warranty?

no shit, my friend had them say this to him over the phone when he asked about upgrading from xp-std to xp-pro (traitor)
I have to disagree. There are choices in computer manufacturers and operating systems. If folks are unwilling to exercise that choice it's not the leading companies fault---they are doing their half of the equation by trying to grab as much busine$$ as possible. I am sick to M$ products. I don't use them any more, but I still fight daily with folks at work about using non-windows operating systems to get the job done. They agrue sticking with the majority is cheaper and easier (i.e. better supported). I counter-argue that performance is critical, they say "better is the enemy of good enough", with windoze being good enough (for them). The truth is there is no perfect solution. Every viable platform/language/OS is a compromise---it's up to us to make it work anyways.
Intel-OUTSIDE wrote: ... how many people here know that dell(u.k.) claim that removing the factory windows install from there laptops invalidates the warranty?

That's funny ... because in China you can buy Dell computers direct from Dell without Windfows preinstalled. The cheapest options come with a FreeDOS floppy and that's it. Yeah, Dell sucks but it's better than ... Gateway ? Better than Acer for sure, anyway. I hate the Acers we have - total garbage. Yuck.