SGI: Computer Graphics

Create a "circle of rope" image

I need to create a circle with the edge of the circle having the texture of a rope. Is it possible to do this with gimp? Or perhaps with blender?
i just modeled this in a coupple of minutes in lightwave 3D now i saw your post.

is it somthign like that you meen ?

http://www.trhlogos.dk/rope_mis.jpg

MIS
Best regards

MIS
did a fast lille render test for yer dude

here

http://www.trhlogos.dk/rope2_mis.jpg

mis
Best regards

MIS
That is exactly what I need to create. You did it with lightwave 3d correct? I suppose I could get my hands on that program, but I'd rather use blender. I'd like to be able to do this myself - any keywords to help me going on this?
(tool names, texture, etc.)
yes i modeled that in lightwave 3D

hoever there is no textures at all on what you see
its pure mesh :)

evey little string in the rope you see

MIS
Best regards

MIS
good job.
very nice work!!!

Which version of Lightwave did u use for it?
i made it in 7.5 , havent had that much time yet to set my brain into my lw8 yet, theres alot of weard changes in 8, but
the tools used for it in lw is standart tools
i could have made that in lw 4.0 if i wanted

just normal modeling all

so

MIS
Best regards

MIS
if blender allows you to loft/extrude a profile along a spline and twist it, it should not be a problem. you could also do that with polygons.

as for texturing: a procedural texture/layered texture with bump should do.
miunk wrote: I need to create a circle with the edge of the circle having the texture of a rope. Is it possible to do this with gimp? Or perhaps with blender?

probably not exactly what you're looking for, but a tutorial here :

http://www.proecentral.com/portal/artic ... .asp?id=28
So miunk

WHat is cooking, are you making it or do you need alittle help or whats
happning, anything to see ?

MIS
Best regards

MIS
No - I had a short deadline and I just went with a "circle of wood" with gimp and told them it was the best I could do. I still plan to give it a shot when I get some time. The interface for blender is unlike anything I have ever used. Perhaps I should grab lightwave.
miunk wrote: The interface for blender is unlike anything I have ever used.

oh-oh ! I said this once in less polite terms and Skywriter let me know that I was full of something :-)

Actually, at 1600 x1200 on a big monitor, the Blender interface is not so bad. Probably be okay on the 1600sw, too. When it's all squshed down teensy it's a pita.

'scuse me, gotta run before sky sees this ......
if you do grab lightwave someware or so and need help do let me know if i can be
of any assistance.

if you have a pc or mac too ihave a made 20 modeling video tutorials on my webpage that you can check to get some tips

all for lightwave

mis
Best regards

MIS
Blender is fine even at 1280. It's nice being able to rearrange the buttons window to be vertical with the new GUI - it would look ridiculous on a 1600SW, otherwise :)
lewis wrote: It's nice being able to rearrange the buttons window to be vertical with the new GUI - it would look ridiculous on a 1600SW, otherwise :)

Lewis : careful ! People have been shot for less !

hi, sky :-)