SGI: Computer Graphics

SoftImage

After I had cleaned up my systems, I decide to put some software back on. The last few days it's been Softimage. I'd always liked Softimage, I'm unsure how it stood against Maya, was it better or worse? Who knew? But I had experience with maya, so sort of knew some basics. Softimage though is alien to me. I can't even make a polygon, but it does look cool, even the versions I have.

After completing the install and getting things nice, I thought, I know what I need, a simplistic basic, dumb ass starter guide. Not like the one referenced on this site, that seemed rather fast and furious for myself.

Rather than just ask on here I googled and found not what I was looking for, BUT that some shit is going down (or went down last year).

I may be somewhat late.. but..

Softimage is no longer being sold or supported and you are encouraged to move to 3DS or Maya.. (did I miss a massive thread on here)?

I could download a free version if I were a student.. I am .. so I did, a Linux version.. 2015 version, yet to install it on my parents PC (see some other bizarre ranting thread of mine).

I still don't know how to use the fscking thing!

So, anyone know of any really basic Softimage guides?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
I linked a 1hr video in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16730776#p7390837

Maybe it misses some of the most basic things like how the displayports and the mouse works.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: I linked a 1hr video in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16730776#p7390837

Maybe it misses some of the most basic things like how the displayports and the mouse works.

Hey Robespierre, this is the one I found on here before. Just not basic enough for a dumb ass like myself.

Years ago I purchased a book on Maya, many of you may have it (I know one ex-forum member had it), can't recall the name, but it had a walk through on how to create a rocket that launched into space and fell back down to the ground. I learnt so much from that chapter alone, and that's the sort of thing I am after.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
first of all you'd have to tell us which softimage you wanna use: the classic one called "3D" or the second generation one called "XSI"?
the one you got from autodesk is XSI, they just ditched the 3 letters some years ago
foetz wrote: first of all you'd have to tell us which softimage you wanna use: the classic one called "3D" or the second generation one called "XSI"?
the one you got from autodesk is XSI, they just ditched the 3 letters some years ago

I'd like to use the 3D version that's on the SGI, it's version 4.0.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
There's an Anthony Rossano book called "Inside Softimage 3D" that was published by New Riders in 1998 - it's probably the best introduction to Soft|3D outside of the original manuals, and it's fun to skim because it's filled with full-color illustrations. You can buy it on eBay for $5.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+
SiliconClassics wrote: There's an Anthony Rossano book called "Inside Softimage 3D" that was published by New Riders in 1998 - it's probably the best introduction to Soft|3D outside of the original manuals, and it's fun to skim because it's filled with full-color illustrations. You can buy it on eBay for $5.

I think I have this book already, bought it years ago, never read it, and now can't find it, but I know I have it.
Did though go to amazon.. £155 :shock:
Then googled, found a link to Amazon for £4 :? What gives?

Anyway, I'll find the book if you think it's a good read.

[Edit] Found this site also http://www.edharriss.com/tutorials/tutorials_model_3d.html
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote:
SiliconClassics wrote: There's an Anthony Rossano book called "Inside Softimage 3D" that was published by New Riders in 1998 - it's probably the best introduction to Soft|3D outside of the original manuals, and it's fun to skim because it's filled with full-color illustrations. You can buy it on eBay for $5.

I think I have this book already, bought it years ago, never read it, and now can't find it, but I know I have it.
Did though go to amazon.. £155 :shock:
Then googled, found a link to Amazon for £4 :? What gives?

Anyway, I'll find the book if you think it's a good read.

[Edit] Found this site also http://www.edharriss.com/tutorials/tutorials_model_3d.html

Wow, if you look out at the front page of his site he's got 200-plus XSI tutorials linked... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
uunix wrote: I'll find the book if you think it's a good read.

it definitely is. it is the softimage book
foetz wrote:
uunix wrote: I'll find the book if you think it's a good read.

it definitely is. it is the softimage book

Found :D Knew I had it.

IMG_5327.JPG
IMG_5327.JPG (60.78 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
yup that's the one. happy softing :P
I Have this book ,too,chinese version.
I bought this book just recently.
The author (Anthony Rossano) created a masterpiece, this book is a material to read for any person who wants to see what a professional book should look like, regardless of topic covered in it.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO