SGI: Computer Graphics

CorelDraw

Has anyone ever seen this on Unix ? Supposedly both 3 and 4 were released "for Unix" but I've never seen it.

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse. ... &user=&pw=

probably not missing much but curious ...
What country do you want to go to ? ... Wyoming
Take a look at http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=slAE ... &q&f=false

DEC, SUN, HP. Bonus SGI Showcase article, too.

At least in the past, Corel had demo versions of WordPerfect for various Unix systems, including IRIX, over at ftp.corel.com. I haven't looked for CorelDraw stuff, but maybe they have some info about it there.
In the deep dark past I had Wordperfect 8 for Linux; long since stopped working due to the libc5 -> libc6 abandonment of backward compatibility...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
josehill wrote: At least in the past, Corel had demo versions of WordPerfect for various Unix systems, including IRIX, over at ftp.corel.com. I haven't looked for CorelDraw stuff, but maybe they have some info about it there.

Well, what do you know! The IRIX WordPerfect demo is still there at ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect/wpunix/60-5.2/demo/sgi/ . There are demos for other Unix platforms, too, up a couple of directory levels.

All I can find at ftp.corel.com for CorelDraw on Unix are some text documents at ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/CorelDRAW/DRAW_Unix/ .

A quick Google search (you got me curious, hamei!) shows a few other mentions of CorelDraw on Unix:

vishnu wrote: In the deep dark past I had Wordperfect 8 for Linux

Ugh. That brings back unpleasant memories. I briefly tried Corel WordPerfect for Linux. Never could get it running properly. And that was on Corel's own short-lived Linux distribution! (A Debian deriviative that I ditched in favour of the real deal.) Whichever WordPerfect version that was, it wasn't a native Linux application. It was the Windows version running in a heavily modified WINE environment, IIRC. The native IRIX version of WordPerfect is much easier to work with, IME, even though it's older (6.0 I think).
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000
jpstewart wrote: Ugh. That brings back unpleasant memories. I briefly tried Corel WordPerfect for Linux. Never could get it running properly. And that was on Corel's own short-lived Linux distribution! (A Debian deriviative that I ditched in favour of the real deal.) Whichever WordPerfect version that was, it wasn't a native Linux application. It was the Windows version running in a heavily modified WINE environment, IIRC. The native IRIX version of WordPerfect is much easier to work with, IME, even though it's older (6.0 I think).

WP8 was native (can't recall if it was Motif or something else for the UI toolkit). WP9 was when they had the bright idea to bundle the Windows version with WINE and sell it as a "Linux application"
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Ya, the WordPerfect thing isn't what I was thinking of. That's not really a Corel program anyhow ... I had a CorelDraw! maybe on DOS ? Definitely on Windows 3.1 running in Winos2. It was the graphics program of its day, even more than PhotoShop ... but I've never seen it on Unix. Heard about it but never seen. There aren't even any screenies out there.

As I remember, it was an okay program. They fell on hard times after that but at that point it was decent.
What country do you want to go to ? ... Wyoming

Hmm. I guess there was an IRIX version. I wonder if it ever made it onto one of those old "Hot Mix" demo CDs that SGI used to send to support contract customers back in the 90s. I have a few Hot Mix discs somewhere in the catacombs...
interesting I never realized that they actually have UNIX version.
Their last attempt was half arse port for Linux that use Wine Wrapper ( also it was bundled with Core Linux distro, well Corel quickly give up on linux for good shortly after ).
Please upload some screenshots. I'm huge fan of this software. Pity that Adobe Illustrator is getting ahead of the game due to their tight integration with other softwares like Photoshop, InDesign and Adobe soft can be ran on OSX. Corel needs to consider porting CorelDraw to different OS.
Blast from the past!

I dug up CorelDraw 2.01 from an old Hotmix CD. I used to have this on my first PC, a 286 ...

It is a COFF executable but I it works just fine on an Indy with IRIX 5.3. Won't run on IRIX 6.2 or newer.

Protected with FLEXlm v2 :twisted:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
And this is the CorelDRAW 3.0 demo version from Hotmix 8:

The demo version cannot save and print. I have the feeling it could be a full featured binary once some special sauce is applied.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: special sauce

anyone has already tasted? hot pepper sauce?
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
Y888099 wrote: anyone has already tasted?

Tastes good:

Notice the lack of "Demonstration" in the window title, and the activated "Save" and "Print" menus.
Excellent :D !

Doesn't it run on Irix-6.5, right? A pity for that, but well done!
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
CorelDraw 3 is an ELF binary. Interestingly, the help (hyperhelp) is a COFF binary.