SGI: Computer Graphics

O2 and Octane2 Display Modes - Page 2

I built a custom mode for my O2 for use with my Panasonic studio monitor. It's a 17" widescreen that will only support a 1280x768 display mode through the RGB/BNC connectors and that works well. I haven't tried any other modes yet though.

I found a web tool that lets you calculate frequencies, but no matter how I slice it up, I still come in at 164Mhz which does't work. It's just too bad these display adapters have this problem.
Well, the V10 works well at 1600x1200 with my Dell 2007FP monitor but I'm not too thrilled about only being able to use the 8 bit frame buffer mode.

How hard are the V12 boards to come by? I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to go that route. I think a good 24" monitor that can do 1900x1200@60Hz would be a cheaper route, then I could put my V8 back in... Unless the V12 prices have come down significantly.
V12 prices have actually gone up in the last few years, since they've become so rare on ebay; you used to see one pop up every couple of weeks, now, almost never. We sent a bunch of V12 equipped Octane2's to the Reboot Store but they ignored my attemps to contact them about their availability for resale. My fear is that they didn't have any idea what they were and sent them straight to the smelter... :cry:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: straight to the smelter... :cry:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo :(
Image Image Image Image Image Image

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

I know! A bunch of them had 600MHz cpu's and one of them was a dual 600. I kept a list:

Code: Select all

meng100, 1 250Mhz CPU, SSI graphics
meng102, (no response)
meng114, 1 250Mhz CPU, ESSI graphics
meng137, (no response)
meng138, (no response)
meng139, 1 600Mhz CPU, V12 graphics
meng141, 1 600Mhz CPU, V12 graphics
meng142, (no response)
meng144, 1 600Mhz CPU, V6 graphics
meng146, 1 600Mhz CPU, V12 graphics
meng148, (no response)
meng150, 2 600Mhz CPU, V12 graphics
meng152, 1 600Mhz CPU, V12 graphics
meng153, (no response)
seng04, (no response)
seng11, 1 400mhz CPU, V6 graphics
seng12, 2 400Mhz CPU, V12 graphics

Hostname code: meng = mechanical engineering and seng = software engineering
Project:
Plan:

Very sad indeed!

So, I'm still using this V10 I picked up but I would honestly like to put my V8 back int because it has more RAM. Does anyone know of any good, inexpensive monitors, that would work well with the V8? Either in 1600x1280 or 1900x1200? I tried out my Samsung 245BW on it and it works great but this monitor is on it's last leg so I need a replacement anyway.
vishnu wrote: V12 prices have actually gone up in the last few years, since they've become so rare on ebay; you used to see one pop up every couple of weeks, now, almost never.

I used to pull 4D PowerSeries out of garages for HFL 50 (about 25EUR). They were not worth much because people liked the read of the Crimson better than the brown Power Series. Now there's people who think the individual boards are worth 1K .

The same will happen to the Onyx, the Onyx2 and the finally the Onyx3.

Oh, and I'll keep an eye on these. If these boards really are worth 10K/each I will probably retire in the near future ;)
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
not to burst your bubble, but I don't think that is a serious price. a lot of sellers on EBay set very high prices on everything hoping to strike it rich somehow. there's no penalty for doing this, as EBay has promotions all the time to waive insertion fees.

On the other hand, the prices for old Apple gear have been rising since Steve Jobs died. I remember when you couldn't give them away, now people are really paying hundreds of dollars for Mac IIs and Quadras, and even Apple ][+'s (platinums and IIgs have yet to really go up, though).
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
jan-jaap wrote: I used to pull 4D PowerSeries out of garages for HFL 50 (about 25EUR). They were not worth much because people liked the read of the Crimson better than the brown Power Series. Now there's people who think the individual boards are worth 1K .

You missed an order of magnitude there j-j, the price on that baby is 10 K. And the date stamps on the LSI chips are nineteen frigging eighty nine... :lol:
Project:
Plan:

Well, thanks to another user here I now have a V12 graphics board in my Octane2. All that I need now is a dual 600MHz CPU.

One question I have is, should I keep my V10 or the V8 board as a spare? I will probably get rid of one of them. I figure the V8 may be better as a spare than the V10 because of the RAM size.

Any suggestions?
The V8 does have more memory, okay, a lot more, but it suffers from the infamous pixel clock design error and the V10's geometry engine is twice as fast as the V8...
Project:
Plan:
I'm guessing maybe I should just hang onto both of them. The pixel clock problem with the V8 seems to only be an issue with monitors that can't display certain modes, or at least that's what I gather. The V8 worked fine with my Samsung SyncMaster 24" monitor running 1920x1200 resolution @60Hz. It was only when I wanted to use my 20" Dell 2007FP monitor that I had all the grief with 1600x1200@60Hz. Or is there more tot he pixel clock issue than screen mode support?
Systems:
:O2+: (400MHz R12K, 1GB RAM, 73GB HDD), :Octane2: (600MHz R14K, 2GB RAM, 146GB & 2x73GB HDD, V12)
There's an article in the wiki that points to two of the dreaded pixel clock threads that pretty much hash it all out (that you may have already seen), link: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/V6/V8_Pixel_Clock_Issues
Project:
Plan:
Thanks!
Systems:
:O2+: (400MHz R12K, 1GB RAM, 73GB HDD), :Octane2: (600MHz R14K, 2GB RAM, 146GB & 2x73GB HDD, V12)
I apologize if this is considered necroposting, but this thread is about something I want to ask. I found this page in the archived SGI site, which lists a lot of modes, and one (supposedly only available on V10s and V12s) has a note that says: "1280x492 at 114Hz available with V6 and V8".
Now, why would SGI include that information in a note at the bottom of the page, instead of the main table? I've read this thread, so I know about the pixel clock bug in V6s and V8s. Is that the reason, i.e. bad faith on SGI's part? As in "The table includes all resolutions we know to be working, and if you happen, by chance, to read the note (but we hope you won't), you'll find information about a feature that should be there in theory, but isn't"?

Also, is that kind of table available anywhere for all other Octane2 graphical solutions (SSI, SSE, MXI, MXE)?