SGI: Computer Graphics

[Review] Alias PowerAnimator v6 - Page 2

ivelegacy wrote: which machine do you have guys, to run this marvelous application ?

the version 6 here was targeted at irix5. it was completely elf and had a few mips2 (r4x00) optimized versions of some program parts optionally available. it also came with a few legacy coff programs but they were just included for backwards compatibility and don't affect the actual program in any way.
the problem with this version however is the gfx support. it will not run on anything with impact or later. the only exception is infinite reality because the basics of that didn't change until the end.

ivelegacy wrote: which is the equivalent Application for a modern SGI/MIPS workstation (Octane/Fuel) ?

well, a later poweranimator :P
they had issues with vpro tho. only the later alias versions which didn't have the poweranimator license model anymore ran fine with vpro. don't get me wrong unlike the version 6 here the later versions do run with vpro. there're just a few glitches here and there.
foetz wrote:
ivelegacy wrote: which is the equivalent Application for a modern SGI/MIPS workstation (Octane/Fuel) ?

Or Maya 6.5
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote:
foetz wrote:

Or Maya 6.5

hehe of course any other 3d package that runs on whatever machine you have can be used. as always it's a matter of taste
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
grab the attachment of the post linked to below for large screen shots of alias/2. might just as well be the only ones you'll ever find
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16729653#p7379715
i guess most of you are using later alias versions from the time when it was under the sgi roof. however if you wanna add some even more classic feel to it there's a way to get somewhat close:

first turn the palette off. just hit windows -> palette and it's gone. despite the 3 dots there that's just an on/off switch.
click the options button on the title bar of the shelf and load my v6_shelf file, replacing whatever shelf you currently have. you might wanna save yours first in case you customized it.
next head over to preferences -> interface -> palette/shelves layout and hit the cube for options. you should now have the window that looks like my screen shot. i framed the important parts in red. set the rest to your liking. hit go when done and you should have something useful already. in some cases tho the main window might be a little off. without the borders now you can't drag the edges nor the window itself to correct the size and/or position so in this case we need the hotkeys. for moving the window hit Alt+F7 while the mouse is somewhere over the window. the same goes for sizing it by using Alt+F8. it might take a few tries to get it right but in the end you should have something similar to my full screen shot.

so far so good, now to get the real alias research feeling don't use the icons but right click on the shelf tabs. my v6_shelf (as far as possible) has the same order and content as v6's and older versions' menus so that's pretty much as classic as you can get :-)
Just about Alias 2, a new great video on youtube ! A lot of work is done on Alias directly on the screen with old 4D, include Pseudopod stuff :D

:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
fantastic, much thanks for that link!
by far the most comprehensive material i've seen so far :D