SGI: Computer Graphics

equinox - Page 2

vishnu wrote:
smj, does the Octane you gave him have MIPSPro 7.4 installed? To compile in c99 mode he has to pass the -c99 flag to the compiler...

I'm pretty sure that someone that can write such a piece of software can read the man page of his compiler. Also, with mipspro, c99 mode cannot be used with C++, so that may not even be an option...

Shouldn't be an issue, from the equinox website:

To ensure high performance and low memory overhead, EQX and the API are written in C or, to be more precise, in: object-oriented C99 with dynamic typing and runtime reflection (2).
However, plugins can be written in either C or C++.

World domination! Or something...
I sent a note to confirm, but he should have working MIPSPro 7.4.4 on that machine. If not, I'll figure it out & correct it.

Took awhile to figure out how to save, but then loading what you have saved into the program again is above my current skillz. :)

Otherwise I kinda like it. It's cool that it works just like Softimage at times.

Cheers!

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

I'm not sure what "properly" is but it does work here :) Had to do some tweaking to get it installed and I get some error messages but it does make stuff. Still needs a little work on the fonts but :

Attachment:
equinox.jpg
equinox.jpg [ 159.66 KiB | Viewed 1317 times ]

A few hints for people who might want to try it :

The irix version has an installer script. For me, that just made some links that didn't work and were in places I didn't like. (As a general rule, if I see an application that puts itself into /usr/local I stab it with an icepick, shoot it in the balls with a .45, then toss it out the tenth-floor window. In this case I made an exception since the location wasn't hard-coded and I just moved the app.)

If you like, you can just unzip the tarfile then copy it to where you want it. There's a hidden directory (dot)equinox in the tarfile, inside that directory are the two configuration files. Edit that to what you want and put the directory into your $home and it should then open correctly.

Quote:
Took awhile to figure out how to save, but then loading what you have saved into the program again is above my current skillz. :)

Doing just about anything with it is above my current skillz :oops:

But anyway ... smj went to the trouble to generously donate an Octane to the cause. The writer of this app is a professional. The program itself has a lot of potential. Irix without software is useless. So, in my mind, the least we can do as a commuuuuunity is to get off our lazy fat asses, download and install the application, write to the author giving accolades and suggestions and user reports, and add one more good program to the few that exist for Irix.

Otherwise, we get exactly what we deserve.

Quote:
Otherwise I kinda like it. It's cool that it works just like Softimage at times.

I don't know Softimage but this one seems pretty nice. And the author is accessible and likes Irix. Sooooo ...... let's get on the stick, people. It's either that or genuflect to a bunch of cool zombie hardware.

Edit :

sgtprobe wrote:

I'm having the opposite problem - I grabbed a file from a diferent program, saved it as a Wavefront .obj file, then did "Open new file" in Equinox.

Came right in. I should have upped the resolution of the conversion though. Renders okay without any extra addons. Would maybe be nicer if it were at version 9 like the linnux version. We could always encourage Mr Nagy ...

Attachment:
equinox_render.jpg
equinox_render.jpg [ 272.54 KiB | Viewed 1271 times ]

Now if I can figure out how to save ... could always read the fine manual, I guess.

Nah :P

Edit 2:

Interesting semi-hidden page

http://www.equinox3d.com/flying.html

Works in Irix (altho maybe better in linnux ? I can't speak to that)

Attachment:
sfo.jpg
sfo.jpg [ 342.27 KiB | Viewed 1265 times ]

Time to email Mr Nagy with some feedback (hint hint) ...
Oh, yeah

I have mailed him to thank him for his hard work and hinted that we would really like future upgrades on Irix version.

Ok, I see that you can load objects, I can't. Really weird. I looked like it installed correctly on my system, no errors where reported at least. But then again, I'm very bad at using Irix to begin with. I know how to start programs at least ;)

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

grazie :)

Quote:
Ok, I see that you can load objects, I can't. Really weird. I looked like it installed correctly on my system, no errors where reported at least.

Me, too. But maybe I was lucky - I didn't like where it put stuff so I ditched the "correct" installation and put all the files where I wanted them. Then I edited the configuration file. Then I noticed a bunch of error messages about reading the sample files. So I tried change-directorying into the folder where the models were stored and started from there, eg < /opt/grafix/equinox/bin/eq & >

That seems to work. You might try that ?

Quote:
But then again, I'm very bad at using Irix to begin with. I know how to start programs at least

That makes two of us :)

edit: just noticed the sreenshots look really dark on Windows. Gamma, grrrr. If this were not an Irix-oriented forum I'd feel obliged to lighten them up :)