Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Hello again

Hello nekochan, I just wanted to say hi to the great people here.

I'm not really new but it's been a long time since I've last posted. After my Trinitron display gave up the ghost (the only sync-on-green monitor I owned), I stashed the Octane in the closet where it sat neglected for the next few years. Recently my girlfriend and I moved into a new place, and this was the second time she had seen me lug the big green thing into a new closet. Naturally she asked wether I was going to hold onto it or maybe sell it/get rid of it. I can understand the question, it was kind of silly to just keep it sitting in the closet for so long. Well, I decided it was finally time to get her up and running again.

I hit up craigslist and found a decent-ish Dell LCD that supports SOG for $25.
The first thing I realized upon boot was that the white LED bulb in the lightbar had gone out. Other than that everything is okay. It's good to have an IRIX box again. :D
Yesterday I went ahead and did a little restoration on the skin, based on recommendations from a couple of threads here. I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Mother's Back to Black.
Here is the front panel prior to the cleaning:

And here it is after scrubbing the paint/blemishes off with the magic eraser pad:

It works very well, but be aware (and this has been mentioned by others) that this can definitely take off some of the texture in the plastic and leave you with an un-even looking surface. Use as little pressure as you can to remove the paint/blemishes. Either way I would not recommend using these pads unless you are also going to apply some kind of wax as well.

Here are a couple of pics of the machine after applying Mother's Back to Black:

It's probably hard to tell in the photos, but it gives the color a noticeable bit of extra luster without making the surface too shiny. I like it a lot.
Other random thoughts/questions:
I would have thought Octane drive sleds would be more plentiful and easier to come by.
External SCSI CD ROM drives are a bit more expensive than I was expecting. What models do you folks use?
Are there any compact PS2 keyboards that work well with sgi boxes?

And finally... I think I have the bug again. The Octane will soon be joined by a Fuel.
Cheers all.
Welcome back, DaJuice. Nice work, your Octane looks great.

As far as external optical drives go, I personally like the Pioneer 303 or 304 SCSI DVD drives. Works as a boot/install drive and also supports IRIX's audio-over-scsi feature. There's also a decent sized list of known Octane-friendly CD/DVD drives over in the Octane Hardware Aggregator .

If you pick one with a key layout supported by IRIX, pretty much any PS/2 keyboard should work. The pckeyboard man page give the official rundown , but it's far from comprehensive:

Code: Select all

Compatibility
Most PC keyboards work out of the box (they may require a 5 pin DIN to 6
pin mini-DIN) if they match the normal 101-key layout.  Keyboards with
different or extra keys may require tuning of keyboard map.  The
following keyboards have been tested (some only briefly) and seem to
function correctly:

SGI Indigo2 keyboards (US and several international models)
SGI Indy keyboards (US and several international models)
Kinesis ergonomic keyboard, Model 100, 110, 120 and 130
Comfort Keyboard System
IBM PS/2 Model M (P/N 1391401)
IBM 101 Key Keyboard with Trackpoint II - PS Style (P/N 92G7461)
Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Compaq enhanced II keyboard, domestic/101
Qtronix QX-601R

Some keyboards that are known not to work, or require minor changes:

Lexmark M13 (Select_ease) - Does not always power-on correctly.
See nogfxkbd option in prom(1m).
Data Hand - Newer versions are reported to work, but older
ones do not.
PC Concepts Ergonomic - does not implement scan code set 3.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Hello DaJuice, good to see you back.

I've rejoined the community a month ago, and i hauled my old O2 back into my mancave so i'm with ya :)
There is the old LED mod for the Octane, which is a nice winter hobby project. CD Drives are tricky to find, but i have scavenged a few Toshiba SCSI models which i use to help some systems remove the root password. Maybe a yardsale somewhere will have these around.

Building a PC for IRIX network install will be my next task. I suggest you try it too, to not be too dependent on CD media.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
Nice restoration! Looking forward to you posting the formal hinv. :)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Thank you guys for the warm welcome and the pointers. I will update the thread when the Fuel arrives (and post hinvs as well).
Welcome, that's a very clean and nice Octane. I am afraid to polish mine for fear of messing it up lol.

But all in all they are very nice machines and I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
DaJuice wrote: I realized upon boot was that the white LED bulb in the lightbar had gone out.

All the bulbs on mine are out except the red one (which is the one that's only on up to successful POST or thereabout), why they felt they needed to use incandescent bulbs is a design fail that defies logical explanation... :x
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Krokodil wrote: Welcome, that's a very clean and nice Octane. I am afraid to polish mine for fear of messing it up lol.
But all in all they are very nice machines and I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Thanks Krokodil. In all honesty, I thought I had messed it up, but the MBTB evened everything out pretty well.

vishnu wrote:
DaJuice wrote: I realized upon boot was that the white LED bulb in the lightbar had gone out.

All the bulbs on mine are out except the red one (which is the one that's only on up to successful POST or thereabout), why they felt they needed to use incandescent bulbs is a design fail that defies logical explanation... :x

Yeah it's a mystery. This machine does actually have a LED modded lightbar, The LED just gave out for whatever reason.
DaJuice wrote: This machine does actually have a LED modded lightbar, The LED just gave out for whatever reason.

OK, that's even stranger. I'd guess either a wiring issue (snapped core or something), or whoever did it used the wrong resistor so that the LED burnt out.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Trippynet wrote:
DaJuice wrote: This machine does actually have a LED modded lightbar, The LED just gave out for whatever reason.

OK, that's even stranger. I'd guess either a wiring issue (snapped core or something), or whoever did it used the wrong resistor so that the LED burnt out.

It's easy to check if the diode is nuked since most voltmeters have diode checkers these days. I've had it on my todo list to do the diode mod to my light bar for about eight years now... :mrgreen:
Project:
Plan:

DaJuice wrote:
Krokodil wrote: Welcome, that's a very clean and nice Octane. I am afraid to polish mine for fear of messing it up lol.

Thanks Krokodil. In all honesty, I thought I had messed it up, but the MBTB evened everything out pretty well.

vishnu wrote:

Yeah it's a mystery. This machine does actually have a LED modded lightbar, The LED just gave out for whatever reason.

Interesting to see what I thought was wear on the O of the Octane is actually present on yours too.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
The diode in the Octane lightbar lit right up after poking and nudging it a bit. It's fine now. :oops:

The Fuel arrived! It's heavier than I was expecting for an ATX style chassis. The metal/plastics were not in bad shape but I gave them the machine the same treatment as the Octane. Please let me know if my photos are too large/excessive, I don't want to abuse the servers. Originally I was going to link to images on my photobucket, but photobucket is no good anymore.

Before & Afters:

Looks very nice, and an intact front door as well. You just need to pop up the hinv now!

Attaching the files is usually best incidentally as sites like Photobucket are always moving/changing around, and posts otherwise become outdated and incomplete if the photo host disappears. Whereas with attaching them here, they'll last as long as this forum lasts :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Sexy Fuel, that. Mine has nearly perfect skins, so it gets babied.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
What kind of camera/lens are you using?
:Cube: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indy: :320: :1600SW:
I have posted hinvs for both machines.

strong_epoxy, it's a Sony a6000 with either the 16-50mm kit lens or Canon FDn 35mm f2. The kit lens is not the greatest but most of these were shot on a tripod which let me work at f8 and beyond where that lens does just fine.

Alright, it's clear I have a problem. :lol:
I recently acquired mopar's very nice Octane2: dual 600 R14k, dual head and dual channel V12, 3.5GB of RAM, two 73GB 15,000rpm drives, PCI cardcage with a couple of fibre channel cards. I will get around to posting a proper hinv for it. I'm really curious where it originally came from and what type of work was done on it.

I also found a great deal on a new-in-box 1600sw and MLA for $100 on ebay. It was a local seller, 5 minutes from my work. :shock:
Very nice guy and he told me he used to work at Bell Labs where they did "simulation and model development for education" on Octanes.
Also, thank you to recondas, 3dchris and Jack Luminous for their efforts in making the Octane2/1600sw combo workable.
Nice pose :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
That's a beaut! :D

Mopar didn't have any provenance as to where it came from? If anyone's looking to buy I believe he still has a ton of good stuff available... 8-)
Project:
Plan:

Thanks. :)

And you know, I haven't asked mopar about the machine's origin, maybe he'll chime in.