Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Connect Indigo2 to internet

Hello there,

There are several weeks now since I've got my first Fuel and, due to missing OS, it is still dead.
Thanks though for the tip with OpenBSD, but at this point my Unix-like command line knowledge is very limited. Same for tip with the work that is done in LINUX.

But the good news is that I've got another box, an Indigo2 with IRIX 6.2 in working condition. The question that I have is how can I connect it to the Internet? My home network is Windows/Android/Linux with about 10 devices without domain and I am connected to the NET through a standard Bell gateway.

Thanks for help
Marius
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
The other thing you'll want is a good firewall and a lot of care. Last patch set for 6.2 was 2001/2002 era, and the newest browser is likewise pretty old - porting newer browsers over is nontrivial, even with the POSIX compatibility patches.

While I don't envision hordes of script kiddies looking for IRIX boxes, you might want to channel remote access through another box, use TGCware SSH, or VPN to cut your risks.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
In line with what SAQ recommended, harden up a bit if your going online:
http://web.archive.org/web/200410120222 ... php?id=326
http://www.giac.org/paper/gcux/56/harde ... tem/100969

Both are good reads.
ISP-supplied gateway + unpatched 1990s Unix = pwned in minutes.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

I might be misteken but do I have to have a HOME Domain Name Server in order to get in the Net? I hope I am wrong... :(
marius_can_15 wrote: do I have to have a HOME Domain Name Server in order to get in the Net?

no.

and as the others said, you really shouldn't make this one visible to the outside. put it behind a router or something so that it's not reachable from the internet unless you forward something explicitly.
that goes for any box of course unless it's something tight and configured well
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: put it behind a router or something

Does anyone not use at least a router these days ? Plus if his "home network is Windows/Android/Linux with about 10 devices" then he's either connecting each box individually one at a time or else something, somewhere is doing routing and at the very least, nat.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
Your router will (usually) act as a DNS server / forwarder, so just configure your I2 to point at that.
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200: