Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Where's the best place to ask my (O2) questions?

Hey all.

I'm new here, but not exactly new to SGI, having been tangentially into them since the late 90's. Anyway, I'm moving into a smaller place and need to get rid of stuff. I have a bunch of O2 systems/pieces that have been kicking around for ages that honestly I'm never going to do anything with. I'd like to sell all this off to a good home rather than toss it, but I'm not 100% sure what all these parts are anymore. Basically, I need someone to help me identify who goes with what, where I should list them, and what they're worth. I don't know where I should start asking though, which forum, or if nekochan is even the right site for this. Can anyone give me pointers?
Could you post some pics of the items ? That would help ! ;)
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Every component (PCB) should have a part# in the form 030-xxxx-yyy. Google will then tell you exactly what it is.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
I have maybe three systems that I think are complete (or near to it), enough parts in a bag to make maybe one or two more, and some software (which according to the banner up top I'm not allowed to talk about here?). They're all the blue/black original O2 though, not the purple + one. This is all stuff I picked up on the cheap at computer flea markets so I don't think any of it's especially rare. I tried googling a few part numbers but it doesn't really give me all the details I need re: who's compatible with what, much less what they're worth or where to sell them. ebay results are all over the map.

Before I start posting a dozen pics and pages of text though I want to make sure I'm in the right place. Is posting here to the "Getting Started" board what I should be doing? Should I ask in the SGI:Hardware forum instead? Is nekochan even the right place to ask for help selling stuff?
Quartz wrote: I have maybe three systems that I think are complete (or near to it), enough parts in a bag to make maybe one or two more, and some software (which according to the banner up top I'm not allowed to talk about here?). They're all the blue/black original O2 though, not the purple + one. This is all stuff I picked up on the cheap at computer flea markets so I don't think any of it's especially rare. I tried googling a few part numbers but it doesn't really give me all the details I need re: who's compatible with what, much less what they're worth or where to sell them. ebay results are all over the map.

Before I start posting a dozen pics and pages of text though I want to make sure I'm in the right place. Is posting here to the "Getting Started" board what I should be doing? Should I ask in the SGI:Hardware forum instead? Is nekochan even the right place to ask for help selling stuff?

If you plan to keep the systems or sell them elsewhere and want help identifying the parts, the SGI: Hardware Forum would be the place.

If your intent is to sell the items here, post them in the Bazaar - Hardware for Sale/Trade Forum. Potential buyers on this forum will be savvy enough to know what they're looking at.

In either case you're welcome to attach a small number of photos, but please resize your attachments - a thousand or fifteen-hundred pixels on the longest aspect should offer more than enough resolution for on line viewing, especially if you crop to show whatever detail you want to illustrate. You can also link off-site photo-hosting services, but please resize those as well so when the link is displayed in-line it doesn't cause readability issues in the forum.

Commercial Software - as the rule mentions, don't offer/buy/sell/trade any software that isn't clearly marked as public domain.

BTW, as Jan-Jaap mentioned, SGI hardware normally leaves the factory clearly marked with a part number, and it's usually pretty easy to google up all the references you'll need. If you get overwhelmed with hits and advertisments, try directing your search specifically to this forum.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
OK, thanks. I think the hardware forum sounds like the best bet for now; I want to figure out what I have and if it works first instead of just barfing out a pile of pictures with 'as-is / best offer' on everything.

As far as images go, I'm new to the forum so not totally familiar with etiquette here. Usually when posting to forums in cases like this I always put in a link to the images instead of embedding them inline, so people with slow/mobile connections aren't forced to load stuff they don't care about. Am I allowed to do that here, or are inlining images preferred/required?
Where in the world are Quartz ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
Massachusetts, USA (I'll fill in my profile details once I start posting for real). I'm OK shipping to anywhere if you're OK with paying for it though.
Quartz wrote: Usually when posting to forums in cases like this I always put in a link to the images instead of embedding them inline, so people with slow/mobile connections aren't forced to load stuff they don't care about. Am I allowed to do that here, or are inlining images preferred/required?

Thanks for asking, Quartz. We don't have a hard rule on the subject, but there is a bias toward using the "Attachments" function, particularly for equipment that might be older or relatively rare. A lot of people come to the site for research purposes, and by using the Attachments function, we avoid broken links to external sites and ensure that useful historical information is preserved.

That said, we definitely discourage people from placing full-size, ultra high resolution pics directly inline.
josehill wrote: A lot of people come to the site for research purposes, and by using the Attachments function, we avoid broken links to external sites and ensure that useful historical information is preserved.

OK, I guess that makes sense. Thanks.