Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Install Development (Compilers, IDF, etc)

Hello.

I try to install the dev things for the tezro based on irix 6.5.30

Which cheat do i have to put in to get it installed? Im trapped in conflicts hell and dont find anything to solve it.
I have nearly every cd you can imagine and nearly tried every combination possible.

In the manual http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=0650&db=relnotes&fname=/usr/relnotes/IDF it says:

Code: Select all

===>   Insert MIPSpro 7.4 Compiler EOE   CD into   CDROM drive

#inst   -f /CDROM/dist

Inst>   keep * (or the shorthand k *)

If this is a scratch install do:
Inst>   install   installable (or   the shorthand i   A)

Or if   this is   an upgrade do:
Inst>   install   Upgrade   (or the   shorthand i U)

Inst>   go

===>   Remove MIPSpro 7.4 Compiler EOE   CD
===>   Insert IDF 1.3 CD

Inst>   from /CDROM/dist

Inst>   go

===>   Remove IDF 1.3 CD
===>   Insert MIPSpro 7.4 C Front-end CD

Inst>   go

Trying to install the first cd gives me the following conflicts:

Missing of dev.sw64.lib and dev.sw.lib
They are on the Dev Libs. I tried five different dev lib cd dirs i downloaded from all around, but then the following appears:

dev.sw64.lib and dev.sw.lib and all what it installs is incompatible with base.eoe.sw and have about 50 conflicts.
I also read in the base 6.5.30 overlay cds, but that changes nothing

What do i have to do to get it running?
It's been a while since I've done this but I remember having to bust out my original foundation CDs as well when installing MIPSpro (to get a precursor to a dependency that's met by the overlay)
Hmm i did it somehow.

Now im stuck installing autoconf. I got the nekodeps script and tried to install autoconf, but it always complains about neko_m4 should be opened. If i do so it says the distri is empty?

[E] Worked by installing both beta versions
MrWeedster wrote: Missing of dev.sw64.lib and dev.sw.lib
They are on the Dev Libs. I tried five different dev lib cd dirs i downloaded from all around, but then the following appears:

dev.sw64.lib and dev.sw.lib and all what it installs is incompatible with base.eoe.sw and have about 50 conflicts.
I also read in the base 6.5.30 overlay cds, but that changes nothing

If the search hasn't already taken you there, this post by SAQ might prove interesting (the thread is titled "MipsPro install conflict with dev.sw64.lib"): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16728239&p=7365945&#p7365945
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
for a fresh install you need:

IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1 CD               (812-0759-002)
IRIX 6.5 Foundation 2 CD               (812-0760-002)
IRIX 6.5 Development Libraries CD      (812-0766-002)
IRIX 6.5 Development Foundation CD     (812-0757-002)

IRIX 6.5.x Overlays (1 - 3) CD

Compiler Execution Environment 7.4 CD  (812-0924-002)
MIPSpro C compiler 7.4 CD              (812-0707-004)
MIPSpro C++ compiler 7.4 CD            (812-0400-010)
MIPSpro Fortran 77 compiler 7.4 CD     (812-0403-010)
MIPSpro Fortran 90 compiler 7.4 CD     (812-0402-010)
MIPSpro compilers and tools 7.4.4 CD   (812-0980-007)

then if you wanna take the easy route:

Inst> keep *
Inst> install standard
Inst> go

if you don't wanna swap cds all the time copy all the inst packages into one dir and point inst or swmgr to that
r-a-c.de
I think that foetz forgot to mention IRIX Development Foundation 1.3

And I am confused if:
IDF 1.3 completely replaces the original 1998 IDF ? or
IDF 1.3 is just an update/overlay for the original 1998 IDF ?
hoosyny wrote: I think that foetz forgot to mention IRIX Development Foundation 1.3

did you try it?
r-a-c.de
That is true. I never tried to install development tools because I do not have them yet.
But I am trying to figure out what CDs to look for.
hoosyny wrote: That is true. I never tried to install development tools because I do not have them yet.
But I am trying to figure out what CDs to look for.

well then my post should be the answer. after all it's a quote from sgi directly
r-a-c.de
Yes - to run MIPSPro 7.4+ compilers on IRIX 6.5, you need the IRIX Development Foundation 1.3 for IRIX 6.5 systems CD. That's actually the CD that SAQ was referring to in the last post on the thread that recondas linked to .

The IDF 1.3 CD is a base (i.e. "full") installer; it is not an overlay/update installer.

Keeping track of necessary IRIX development software can be a little confusing, in part because SGI changed how it bundled libraries and tools (see note below) and the fact that SGI's libraries and tools are as tied to MIPSPro versions (e.g. 7.0.x-7.4.x) as they are to IRIX versions, and MIPSPro versions could be used on more than one version of IRIX. If you used the MIPSPro compilers, you had to be careful to use the right IDF/IDO version, otherwise you'd break your compiler, especially if you were rebuilding a machine and wanted to use an older (expensive) compiler license.

I just noticed the time of day, and I don't have the time to procrastinate and research this further, but it occurs to me that a matrix showing compatible versions of MIPSPro, IDF, IDL, etc. would be a great addition to the nekochan wiki, assuming the information isn't already out there, somewhere.

Note: As of MIPSpro 7.2, the IRIS Developer's Option (IDO) CD was replaced by sets of IRIX Development Foundation (IDF) and IRIX Development Libraries (IDL) CDs. For more info, consult the IDF/IDO/IDL release notes for various versions, (e.g. IDF 1.2 , IDF 1.3 ).