Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Yet another newbie intro - Page 2

llama wrote: I've also potentially tracked down some install software (I say potentially as I don't know if it is a proper install or just the overlays) ...

In other news I've downloaded the 6.5.22 update from SGI so will upgrade the o2 when I get a chance, then start playing with nekoware.

With an O2 in particular you might consider sticking at 6.5.22. There are no fixes for O2 in the later overlays, beyond perhaps some general stuff for xfs or whatever. But at 6.5.23 SGI replaced all the good utilitites like Impressario and Display Postscript with a bunch of third-rate half-baked crap (CUPS, for example.) And they also screwed up the entire fonts system ...

Reverting to the good utilities will drive you crazy, so upgrading beyond 22 is something I would do selectively. After two years I'm still trying to straighten out my fonts. In fact, with an O2 I'd stay put right there.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
And I finally got a monitor adaptor for the Octane so can finally boot the thing - turns out it's a dual 250MHz with 512MB RAM. It also contains an install of Flame by the looks of things, though I haven't had a good look for any other software.

It's running 6.5.23. One strange thing is there is no desktop as such (No dumpster, icons on desktop etc), all I have is the menu bar top left so I open a shell and load apps from there but there is no menu item for things like Netscape etc. Will have to dig around a bit, but happy to have it working!
if that's a discreet setup then the desktop is limited. they turned off as much as possible since the machines were delivered as turnkey systems
r-a-c.de
hamei wrote: The O2 is a very strange computer. It's like a girl who's really hot in the sack but loses her car keys every five minutes and can't boil water. Half the time you can't wait to get home and play with it, the other half you want to throw it out the window.

Old thread but one of the best analogies I've read in a while. Well done, hamei! :lol:
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box