Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

no graphique destop on my O2 after install 6.5

Hello,
Is someone can help me?
I have an O2 R5000 180, purchased from a person who no longer knew the passwords.
I tried with VI to change the password /etc/ passwd, but I did something wrong. In the end, I had to reinstall the system.
I have all original compléte IRIX 6.5.25.
Using the installation tools and overlay tool CD, I typed hinv then " boot- f dksc ( 0,4,8 ) sashARCS dksc ( 0,4,7 ) stand / fx.ARCS - x" . Then " AutoLabel " . After that, I went into the " miniroot " . After the request MKFS 4096 block in the inst menu > I read all my CD IRIX 6.5 (installation tools and overlay third 1/3, overlay 2/3, overlay 3/3, foundation 1, foundation 2, application and complementary application) then I chose "standard install".
After setting the conflicts , the installation is properly held. After leaving the menu inst > , the station has restarted and I got an empty interface, no icons just login and password.
I typed " EzSetup " the first time an empty office with an icon for a shell window and that's it. I did not know what to do with.
I tried then to install all version IRIX, but the hard drive is to small, was only 2GB. I changed the hard drive and put a 18GB disc.
I revived the "boot -f dksc ( 0,4,8 ) sashARCS dksc ( 0,4,7 ) stand / fx.ARCS - x" procedure and " AutoLabel " and then MKFS inst > install all.
I tried twice with a full installation , but the result is the same. No desktop.
Can you tell me if I missed something at some point and that someone else is can help me by guiding me?
Thank you in advance .
SGI O2+ R12000 400
768mo and 36gb
O2 R5000 180
320 2x18gb
Indy R5000 180mhz
Indigo2maximum impact R10000 195
Looked at how the desktop flag is set in chkconfig?

If it's off, as root run:

Code: Select all

chkconfig desktop on
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I wanted to try, but unfortunately I can not open a shell console.
When the interface starts, I have an empty desktop and my mouse without any icons.
I tried in the console in the menu "stop for maintenance", but when I entered chkconfig there are just only two inputs but not desktop.

recondas wrote: Looked at how the desktop flag is set in chkconfig?

If it's off, as root run:

Code: Select all

chkconfig desktop on
SGI O2+ R12000 400
768mo and 36gb
O2 R5000 180
320 2x18gb
Indy R5000 180mhz
jmjsgi wrote: When the interface starts, I have an empty desktop and my mouse without any icons.
If you right click the mouse, do you get the 4DWM "Desktop" popup menu?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I tried all key keyboard and of course those mouse. The mouse pointer is a cross and moves normally.
To restart the O2 I have to puch on the power button and await the power off O2.

vishnu wrote:
jmjsgi wrote: When the interface starts, I have an empty desktop and my mouse without any icons.
If you right click the mouse, do you get the 4DWM "Desktop" popup menu?
SGI O2+ R12000 400
768mo and 36gb
O2 R5000 180
320 2x18gb
Indy R5000 180mhz
hmm if you don't mind, can you redo the installation but follow the steps from Ian's site? I used that steps to install IRIX on all my SGI and luckily i didn't encounter any obstacles.. just straight forward ;)

sorry forgot the link, its this: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
jmjsgi wrote: I tried all key keyboard and of course those mouse. The mouse pointer is a cross and moves normally.
To restart the O2 I have to puch on the power button and await the power off O2.

I've made this mistake before ... I think it had to do with not installing the Complementary Applications. I thought a right mouse button did bring up a terminal tho, from which you could actually do something.

You might try botting into single user mode - block off the boot process at the PROM screen, go into Maintenance and choose single user, I think. That gives you a terminal to work from.

This could be entirely wrong since it's been a long time but better than reinstalling the whole mess :)
Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.
hamei wrote: ...it's been a long time but better than reinstalling the whole mess :)

Especially if, like me, all you've got to install from is the infamous SGI/Toshiba 4x cdrom... :|
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I do not know if it is the CDROM Toshiba, the station looks really original.
I'll try the single mode or I'll reinstall with the basic options.

vishnu wrote:
hamei wrote: ...it's been a long time but better than reinstalling the whole mess :)

Especially if, like me, all you've got to install from is the infamous SGI/Toshiba 4x cdrom... :|
SGI O2+ R12000 400
768mo and 36gb
O2 R5000 180
320 2x18gb
Indy R5000 180mhz
jmjsgi wrote: I'll reinstall with the basic options.

I think that's what you've got now :cry: Better double-check this because it's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure that the desktop stuff is on Complementary Applications. You should be able to add that from a single-user inst, or maybe even over the network ...
Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.
hamei wrote:
jmjsgi wrote: I'll reinstall with the basic options.

I think that's what you've got now :cry: Better double-check this because it's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure that the desktop stuff is on Complementary Applications. You should be able to add that from a single-user inst, or maybe even over the network ...

It should be on "Applications" - Complementary Applications includes stuff like CDE, OpenOffice and the install-by-default PrintPro.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: It should be on "Applications"

Thanks, SAQ. A mind is a hell of a thing to watch go to hell. Especially when it's your own :(