Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Creating disk images of Install Media on MacOS

As many of you know, the IRIX install media use the EFS file system. MacOS cannot read this out of the box, but that does not preclude you from using OS X to create backup images of your CD install media. I used the hdiutil tool to create the images as follows:

1) Put in the disc you're attempting to image. You will get a popup from OSX claiming the disc cannot be read (this is because of EFS file system that the disc uses).

2) Create a directory on the drive to hold your image files
imac:foodir florit $ mkdir IRIX6.5
imac:foodir florit $ cd IRIX6.5

3) Create the images:
imac:IRIX6.5 florit$ hdiutil create ./IRIX6.5-InstallationTools-June1998.dmg -srcdevice /dev/disk1s0
Preparing imaging engine…
Reading whole disk (unknown partition : 0)…
.......................................................................................................................................
(CRC32 $3CC46F9E: whole disk (unknown partition : 0))
Adding resources…
........................................................................................................................................
Elapsed Time: 5m 36.504s
File size: 225160899 bytes, Checksum: CRC32 $F8CD6FB2
Sectors processed: 607696, 607696 compressed
Speed: 903.0Kbytes/sec
Savings: 27.6%
created: /Users/florit/Desktop/Personal/SGI/IRIX6.5/IRIX6.5-InstallationTools-June1998.dmg

4) Eject the disk
imac:IRIX6.5 florit$ hdiutil detach /dev/disk1s0
"disk1" unmounted.
"disk1" ejected.

5) Burn the image to a new CD
imac:IRIX6.5 florit$ hdiutil burn IRIX6.5-InstallationTools-June1998.dmg
Preparing data for burn
Opening session
Opening track
Writing track
.....................................................................................................................................
Closing track
.....................................................................................................................................
Closing session
.......................................................................................................................................
Finishing burn
Verifying burn…
Verifying
........................................................................................................................................
Burn completed successfully
hdiutil: burn: completed

6) Verify that your IRIX host can read the burned disc. I've been able to boot my O2 with the resulting disc.

Hope this is useful to someone out there.

Regards,
Louis
weekeee - wiki it!

this would have saved us a lot of headaches few years ago, thanks lou
Looks like you need to register to add content to the Wiki. Registration requires a 50 word bio in order to request the registration... Nyaah!
you could give us your favourite song :)

iirc it was a username+password thing. neko might had issues with kids spamming around hence the word limit.

never mind, i'm bookmarking this thread and i'll wikify it

update: done
Or you could just use SimplyBurns or something. That works well.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
chc, would SimplyBurns work for the whole process or just for the burning of the images?

it's been ages since i tried this but iirc any disc-burning software able to produce a 1:1 copy would work for duplicating irix CDs (under any other OS)
Should work for the whole thing, just make a .bin/.toc file or some such. That's how I duplicated my Alpha Micro CD, which is in a bizarre multi-session format nothing but Alpha Micros can read.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
roger, will update

if there's anything peculiar/app-specific about it, please follow up either here or over @the wiki
toast 8 worked well for me so far. just been using the copy feature
This is useful - thanks!
Torfinn