Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Operating System Options for Altix/Prism Systems - Page 2

foetz wrote:
iirc a few of the osf features made it into hpux but i wouldn't bet on it :P

Motif did. But those were "base OSF/1" features (HP was a founding member of OSF), not DEC OSF/1 "enhanced features"

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
smj wrote:
bluecode wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Yes, my understanding is that the Altixes (Alticies?) only run the big L, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were a NetBSD port brewing somewhere. (The prerequisite for that is getting the ia64 port working and I understand that is still very experimental.)

Thanks. That's sounds like a colossal waste of time and money for whoever dreamed that one up. Is there any way they could make Itanic even less useful than it apparently already is? The mind boggles.

Just to clarify, there's nothing about Itanium that precludes other OSes. What OS did you want?

I understand that. This was in response to your answer to my question "Will OpenVMS run on these" and you said no. So Altix is a dedicated oddball Linux platform? And that's it? That's what I meant about "making Itanic even less useful than it apparently already is." Altix for some reason(?) can't run the main (only?) OS actually ported to Itanium as a dedicated home platform. That's called making Itanic even less useful than it apparently already is. It's not like they had 100 possible OS choices and they could afford to preclude 50 of them from running on them. They can't support the main Itanium OS... why not?

What OS did I want? Anything but Linux. The last thing the world or any individual needs is another discontinued expensive proprietary oddball Linux platform. It's a colossal waste of time and money for no benefit over platforms that are already available and already run Linux better. Intel knows this, they're already out of the Itanium compiler business. Everybody's who has any sense is bailing. What's the point of this?

I'm all for new platforms, look at my icon! ;) But this feels like people can't admit defeat and are putting out bizarre stuff for nothing but masochistic reasons.

smj wrote:
Whatever we may think of the decision, SGI decided to only support the IA64 Altix through the Linux kernel. They weren't going to keep IRIX going, and while HP, Sun, et al did ports to Itanium you can't be that surprised none of them opted to port to a competitor's high-end architecture.

FreeBSD has an Itanium port, with ISO images available for download, and I just found an announcement of a working snapshot for the Altix 350 in this post from January 2013. Maybe I'll swap disks and give that a shot, though I expect you'd give up everything from the ProPacks, the Intel compilers, etc. (Build from that post has disappeared, but I found a June snapshot here .)

On this front FreeBSD is ahead of NetBSD - I don't see anything but old, possibly incomplete support for an Itanium emulator in NetBSD/ia64. Not much activity on the ports-ia64 mailing list in the past several years either.

Can you think of any other realistic candidates?

I don't know the history but i ASSumed OpenVMS was one of the first if not the first OS to be ported to Itanium. If Altix can't run IRIX and it can't run OpenVMS and all it can run is Linux then it seems like a colossal waste of time and effort for anybody to make it and Itanium is dead for all intents and purposes anyway. Is there no shortage of cheaper/faster platforms including Intel x64? I don't see the point of this. At all. Whoever did this should be taken out and shot and then picked up and shot again. Twice.

It is very nice that FreeBSD might support it. Any additional OS choices are good. But that is after the fact. I still don't understand why anybody would spec out and build an Itanium box that could only run Linux (as far as they knew). Oh I'm sure you can get all the apps you need from itanicpackages.net and all but as soon as you get off Intel Linux is already not very friendly. This just doesn't make any sense. If it would have run OpenVMS then at the time it would have made sense. But now?

Can I think of realistic candidates? No, that's the whole point. Nobody can. Now that OpenVMS is going away and Intel (the guys who make the hardware) have stopped compiler development for the platform it's dead. There's no point in prolonging the agony. Why oh why do we have to see this? :P

As SAQ pointed out, Altix was a scale-up, Single System Image (SSI) platform for High Performance Computing (HPC). If you wanted to have 256 CPUs with serious floating point performance and a fast low-latency interconnect in 2003, this was a good option. Very often for this end of the market programmer time is cheap compared to bringing enough compute power to bear, so if you've got to port your code, or the libraries you use, you do it to make the jobs run within a week instead of a month. And frankly with so much HPC work happening on Linux in loosely-coupled clusters in the '90s, it's not such an oddball choice of OS.

Remember that AMD only released the first 64-bit Opteron in April 2003. Today is there a reason to choose Itanium over x86_64 for net-new systems? Perhaps for some specific cases - and not considering recent vendor games around support for the architecture. But ten years ago, that was a different equation.

And regardless, I started this thread so we could work out what OS options were available for hobbyists who were getting their hands on used SGI Altix platforms today, as they become more common on eBay, etc. Not anybody shopping for new hardware.

PR link announcing Altix 3000 in 2003
Pre-release SGI Itanium announcements focus on Cray, NEC supers (2002)
The Reg on Altix 3k and technical computing (2003)

Is it possible to plug a graphics adapter in one of the PCI-slots of a base module or a CMPX module and run X11? Although 10 years ago AGP was the dominating connector for graphics adapters there were still some PCI-cards on the market. The question is if ia-64 drivers for Linux were provided then.
xiri wrote:
Is it possible to plug a graphics adapter in one of the PCI-slots of a base module or a CMPX module and run X11? Although 10 years ago AGP was the dominating connector for graphics adapters there were still some PCI-cards on the market. The question is if ia-64 drivers for Linux were provided then.

I don't know. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to drop one in and try, but it all depends on what kind of X server-side software/support your distro includes, and what it makes of the card. If it's a well supported card and a generic kernel it might work, but I'm just guessing.

Debian 6 will work; that's what I run on our altix cluster.

So now I wonder if there is a prefered OS/distro of Linux for such a machine?
Maybe there is better performance with SLES than RHEL for example. SLES is better because it's newer or something like that.

I have the media for SLES 9 SP2 that came with the machine. I also have media for SLES 10 SP?.
It seems like Debian 5.0.4 was the last OS that was installed (and erased before I got it).

I'm downloading Debian 5.0.8 while I write this, because it was mentioned to work in this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16718710
I'm also going to download Debian 6.0.10, since it is the latest Debian that could to work according to this thread.

Will the ProPack boost performance for a server? NUMA for example? Do I need it for some other reason.
It doesn't really matter if the gain is small, but if there is significant difference I naturally want the faster one :-)
I guess I can't use ProPack with anything else than SLES since it says so in the prerequisites.

I might try to install the Intel compiler as well, if there are some things to think of when choosing OS/distro.
Maybe it doesn't matter.

The reason that I'm asking this is that I don't want to burn 6-7 DVDs of the "wrong" distro and spend time installing it, if there is a better alternative.

I also have a Prism that I will get started on later, and it seems that SLES9 + a ProPack is the way to go, if I want Graphics to work.
Looks like ProPack through version 5 is no longer a free download, all the ProPack directories have been emptied: ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/sgi_propack/download/
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Yes, SLES 9 + ProPack for the Prism, if you want graphics.

I got side-tracked on the whole question of what RAM works in the first-gen Altix systems ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16727949 ), but the Foundation Software and ProPack should give you NUMA tools, Performance Co-Pilot, and other fun system management/monitoring items.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Seems awhile back the FreeBSD project had a bootable image for the Altix series but I don't know if that went any further
Entire collection up for sale :(
Check this post earlier in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16727812#p7361446
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Bad news fellas - 11 CURRENT release notes for FreeBSD indicate they're dropping the IA-64 port.

I have a local source for Altix 350s though and have asked the NetBSD project to add me to their Hardware available page.
Good news! Got someone on the NetBSD project interested in trying to get NetBSD running on the 350! Stay tuned.
Interesting news! However I will immediately delete this from my brain, because:

That's a scene from The Men Who Stare At Saucepans, right?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Altices are ordered and on the way thanks to your friendly neighborhood IRS.