Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

irix - windows 7 - network, sharity, etc

Hi guys :)

I have connected my Octane2 to my router, DHCP enabled, and i can find the Octane from my PC`s (windows 7), it even has its own html info-page when i access it from my pcs.

However, i cant seem to connect the other way around, even though the Octane connects to the internet just fine.
When i try to mount to the PC using sharity-light , it just tells me "error connecting to the server: [13] Permission denied"

And btw, how do i even ping from irix?? i seem to remember there was a simple ping command ?! :?

btw, files - dns - nis , that correct?

Thanx in advance for any help guys!

When i try to mount to the PC using sharity-light , it just tells me "error connecting to the server: [13] Permission denied"
This looks like a configuration problem, not like a network problem.
Quote:
And btw, how do i even ping from irix?? i seem to remember there was a simple ping command ?! :?
/usr/etc/ping

there was a simple ping command ?!
still ping ;)

Lars1355 wrote:
btw, files - dns - nis , that correct?
hmm base from the wiki, it should be "hosts: files dns files", but try ping your PC first, if it can reply then i guess its fine? sorry im a noob :(

btw, i use SFU under windows to share files back n forth between PC and SGI :) but if you want a light and fast way to share around files between the two? try my gXipmsg hehe sorry for advertising, but i think this way you dont need to setup anything, just install IPmsg in your windows side then just drag the files, tada! done :) but current status for gXip is im almost done for sending files, so now it can send from SGI to windows or to any platform that it can see in the network with the IPMsg or gXip running, cool ayt? no more headache on setting NFS or SMB or FTP hehe ops! i'm crossing the line now so ok hope this helps, cheers!

also, no need to care access rights ;) ciao!

vishnu: im not really sure actually, pretty standard setup permissions as far as i know, any advice there?

geo: thanx mate, actually i need to be able to share a folder and have continuing access from both sides.

what is the easiest way of setting up this? i used sharity light before and it worked just fine...

I can ping both ways, and i can Telnet my pc from the Octane.
I can even find my pc in the hosts-list in irix...
BUT when i mount in sharity i get this error saying mounting - [13] permission denied.
It does actually sound like its a permission thing in windows 7..right? how would i go about for setting rights in windows folders for an irix user/machine??...
*confuzed*...i hardly know anything about networking so its a wonder ive gotten this far... :P

then i suggest to use SFU on your PC side if you have chance to try another option, coz this i the only setup i use many times and it works always.

Lars1355 wrote:
BUT when i mount in sharity i get this error saying mounting - [13] permission denied.
It does actually sound like its a permission thing in windows 7..right? how would i go about for setting rights in windows folders for an irix user/machine??...
*confuzed*...i hardly know anything about networking so its a wonder ive gotten this far...
hmm yeah it does sound like permission issue, not sure with how you share with sharity, but on sfu, if you right click the folder you can see a tab for NFS share, then you can set permissions.

vishnu: im not really sure actually, pretty standard setup permissions as far as i know, any advice there?
Sure have a look at this: http://www.freebsddiary.org/sharity.php
i got it working! it was permissions in windows 7 :)

anyhow, for now i am running the mount commands from the shell manually,
anyone know how i would go about adding them to the bootup so i dont have to do anything manually?
should it not just be like adding a few lines in a file somewhere?

Thanx guys! :)

With just the two machines, you'll probably want to put static entries in /etc/fstab. Assuming the Windows 7 PC will always be available, then yes, you could have it mounted at boot time by the Octane. If you aren't sure about that, include the entry in /etc/fstab with the "noauto" option and you can at least just run "mount /windows" when you want it. You could get fancy with the automounter, but for such a simple setup it probably doesn't make sense.

Check the man page for fstab(5?).
You may also want to read Chapter 7 of the IRIX Admin: Disks and Filesystems guide. When you do, remember to think kind thoughts about SGI in return for them keeping these manuals online for free.

It's not exactly free. Remember that they used to sell Octanes for $50,000 apiece. Those Octanes were dependent on the operating system. When you do that kind of thing it engenders certain responsibilities.

I wouldn't automount remote directories in such a small setup tho. If the Windows machine gets turned off it totally screws up the Irix desktop (fm in particular). I'm sure there's a fix for that somewhere but if you don't have to search for it, that's some time and grief saved.