Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Got two Origins 200 - how to use them "properly"

Greetings to all,

recently, I acquired two Origins 200 in working condition. One is dual R10k 180MHz while the other has only one R10k 180MHz. I have several questions:

- can I acquire IRIX legally for free, since machines were used for academic purposes on Faculty of Science at University of Zagreb (Physics) (got no answer from them, naturally :) )? What version would be most suitable for those machines? How about other (scientific) software for IRIX (compilers, etc.), how can that be acquired?

- does any other OS (Linux, presumably) supports all features that Origin 200 offers? I am particularly interested in Craylink support?

- regarding Craylink, I found some older posts that claimed it is possible to use Craylink on machines that are not similarly equipped regarding CPU's? Is that true? How about memory, I suppose there shouldn't be any problems as well?

- it seems that memory for Origin 200 is somewhat easily obtainable (since it is compatible with Origin 2000 and Onix2). However, how about PIMM's - had no particular luck on Ebay, especially for R12k or dual CPU PIMM's of higher frequency than 180MHz I currently have. Are there any other interesting expansion cards for Origins that could have use in scientific calculations? However, I am really not keen on giving several hundred $ for PIMM's...

- PROM versions on machines seem to be discrepant. I had no luck in finding official procedure for PROM/firmware update method from SGI; is there any (I suppose there is, perhaps the correct question would be - where can I find one)?

TIA!
You have a license for IRIX, since it is tied to the machine. What you do need to do is buy or borrow media, as SGI doesn't make it available for download.

Machines can be CrayLinked/NUMAlinked as long as they are of compatible architecture and have the same speed NUMAlink ports/midplanes/etc. All O200s are the same, so all you need is a cable.

I wouldn't recommend changing PIMMs until you have much more experience. Many SGIs use processor modules, which incorporate the oscillator and setup PROMs, but Origins need to have clock speed, cache, and other data flashed into the nodeboard PROM whenever the setup changes, and if it is done wrong the node will not boot. You can correct this if you have a second node to CrayLink together with the first, but it's a bit difficult.

Linux mostly supports IP27 (Origin 200/2000), but you'll wind up with a machine that isn't much different than a dual-socket Opteron in use(except that it is noisier, takes up more space, and is slower). Stick with IRIX for now. OpenBSD also supports IP27 on O200, but I'm not sure about CrayLink.

PROMs usually get updated during IRIX installs, otherwise look up "flash" on TechPubs.sgi.com (the man section).

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
Welcome to nekochan Bubba.

Is Bubba a common name in Croatia? :D That used to be an exclusive south-of-the-Mason-Dixon name. Even now I could still make at least a dozen or so people say "what?" by walking into any local public event and hollering Bubba - and at least half of the head-turners would probably have Bubba officially inscribed on their driver's license.

Bubba wrote:
- can I acquire IRIX legally for free?
Free? Unfortunately not from SGI.

Bubba wrote:
since machines were used for academic purposes on Faculty of Science at University of Zagreb (Physics) (got no answer from them, naturally :) )?
You're probably talking to the wrong person - especially if you emailed the Faculty of Science blind. Couple of years ago I acquired a 24 processor Origin 2400 from a local university. The suit-n-tie/bean counter/responsible person <except for the suit-n-tie I'm not sure which fits best> who I communicated with while negotiating transfer of the system told me "absolutely not" when asked about IRIX. When I picked the system up, the t-shirt equipped/graduate student/IT guy said, "sure thing".

Bubba wrote:
does any other OS (Linux, presumably) supports all features that Origin 200 offers? I am particularly interested in Craylink support?
That's a work in progress - you might check over at openBSD/sgi for the latest info. A couple of the openBSD dev guys post here on a semi-regular basis, so maybe one will pick up your post and step in

Bubba wrote:
PROM versions on machines seem to be discrepant. I had no luck in finding official procedure for PROM/firmware update method from SGI; is there any (I suppose there is, perhaps the correct question would be - where can I find one)?
Haven't had an O200, but in general they are distributed with <and installed from> IRIX.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
SAQ wrote:
You have a license for IRIX, since it is tied to the machine. What you do need to do is buy or borrow media, as SGI doesn't make it available for download.
That was actually aim of my question; does all SGI machines (or to be exact, my Origins 200) come with bundled IRIX licence. I will try to get hold on IRIX media; just to make sure, what is registration/activation procedure for IRIX, if any (CD key, serial number, online activation, etc.)?

Quote:
Machines can be CrayLinked/NUMAlinked as long as they are of compatible architecture and have the same speed NUMAlink ports/midplanes/etc. All O200s are the same, so all you need is a cable.
Great!

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend changing PIMMs until you have much more experience. Many SGIs use processor modules, which incorporate the oscillator and setup PROMs, but Origins need to have clock speed, cache, and other data flashed into the nodeboard PROM whenever the setup changes, and if it is done wrong the node will not boot. You can correct this if you have a second node to CrayLink together with the first, but it's a bit difficult.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you believe that problem would occur if I would only try to replace single R10k board with dual R10k board with same speed?

Is there any official procedure or should I just humbly ask here in case I get lucky and get my hands on advanced CPU modules? :)

Quote:
Linux mostly supports IP27 (Origin 200/2000), but you'll wind up with a machine that isn't much different than a dual-socket Opteron in use(except that it is noisier, takes up more space, and is slower).
I thought so... ;)

Quote:
Stick with IRIX for now. OpenBSD also supports IP27 on O200, but I'm not sure about CrayLink.
I think IRIX will be fine, I asked about other OSes since due to their open source nature they should be more easily obtainable.

Quote:
PROMs usually get updated during IRIX installs, otherwise look up "flash" on TechPubs.sgi.com (the man section).
Thx.
recondas wrote:
Welcome to nekochan Bubba.
Thank you for the nice and informative welcome. :) BTW, I'm not sure if I'm missing it, but is there no multi-quote option on this phpBB version? Just curious...

Quote:
Is Bubba a common name in Croatia? :D
Not quite. Nor I resemble to any stereotypical bearer of that name, though I did drive a pick-up on a dirt road with a shotgun next to me... :D

Quote:
Bubba wrote:
- can I acquire IRIX legally for free?
Free? Unfortunately not from SGI.
By free, as I mentioned in post above, I really meant "without any additional charge since I own SGI hardware". I am fully aware that vendors like SGI have virtually nothing for - free. :)

Quote:
Bubba wrote:
since machines were used for academic purposes on Faculty of Science at University of Zagreb (Physics) (got no answer from them, naturally :) )?
You're probably talking to the wrong person - especially if you emailed the Faculty of Science blind. Couple of years ago I acquired a 24 processor Origin 2400 from a local university. The suit-n-tie/bean counter/responsible person <except for the suit-n-tie I'm not sure which fits best> who I communicated with while negotiating transfer of the system told me "absolutely not" when asked about IRIX. When I picked the system up, the t-shirt equipped/graduate student/IT guy said, "sure thing".
My dear friend from Physics gave machines to me to hold them, tender them and be nice to them (as I did with the ones here -> http://web.studenti.math.hr/~bubba/hardware.html ; SUN SPARCstation 10, Ultra 1 and several other machines are in queue, but due to the lack of my time during academic year, I only tend to reserve few days during summer break for such errands), but was uncertain about legal nature of IRIX story.

Quote:
Bubba wrote:
does any other OS (Linux, presumably) supports all features that Origin 200 offers? I am particularly interested in Craylink support?
That's a work in progress - you might check over at openBSD/sgi for the latest info. A couple of the openBSD dev guys post here on a semi-regular basis, so maybe one will pick up your post and step in
I got several inputs to stick to the IRIX, but I'd certainly like to try OBSD to see how it goes...

Quote:
Bubba wrote:
PROM versions on machines seem to be discrepant. I had no luck in finding official procedure for PROM/firmware update method from SGI; is there any (I suppose there is, perhaps the correct question would be - where can I find one)?
Haven't had an O200, but in general they are distributed with <and installed from> IRIX.
Thx.
I can see why administrative types would be quick to say "no" to including software - there are so many different licenses and some of them are transferrable without any paperwork, some require paperwork and fees, some are non-transferrable. It's work, and most admin-types aren't interested in the "computers as fun" part, so they see the machine as an asset or liability to be disposed of in the most convienient or required manner.

For O200 all IRIX licenses are transferrable. As of about 2004 SGI revised their licensing to a Sun-esque model where the license self distructs when the machine leaves the original purchaser's hands. Chances are Rackable/SGI isn't going to come gunning for you if you're just a hobbyist, but just so you know...

Going from 1 processor to 2 does require reflashing the setup PROM, otherwise the machine will only use a single processor. It isn't too hard, but you do need to keep track of a bunch of numbers for all the characteristics of the setup. I've done it, and it isn't impossible, but I would recommend setting up a time where you can call/PM/IRC a Neko Guru if you run into questions. As another possiblity you can replace the whole "logic carrier" assembly with a new IP29/PIMM that is already flashed to the proper speed. It's a bit more to ship, but it is the safe route. Three processors isn't bad, so I'd recommend getting a feel for the machine and IRIX before diving into modifying hardware.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
recondas wrote:
The suit-n-tie/bean counter/responsible person <except for the suit-n-tie I'm not sure which fits best> who I communicated with while negotiating transfer of the system told me "absolutely not" ....

You probably neglected to give the secret MBA handshake ... next time, grab your dick in both hands and mark your territory while yodelling like Tarzan. It's kind of a manager in-group thing ...
^ kowalski-supersoul style

РОФЛ!

mayakovsky would cry-lol his arse out too, then he'd do a poem w/ Tarzan, most likely..

welcome Bubba, pay no mind to this post, it's just about esoterica humour