Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Still trying to buy a workstation- is this a fair deal? - Page 2

Every sun 13w3 adapter I have (about 4) from various places has worked on all of my octanes and indy. I even have a sun branded 13w3 to vga cable that works as well. I think the confusion is around the older sun gear that used a different 13w3 pinout...like the Sun 4d era and before....those use to cause confusion when trying to do VGA and SOG. I think that adapter I listed above combined with a more modern 21" monitor should be fine at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. Or he could just look for one of the later 21" sun tubes on craigslist or something. Those work without an adapter on both MGRAS and VPro. With Vpro just make sure it can do the higher scan rates if you want 1280x1024. Or lastly, look to getting one of the LCD panels listed in the Wiki that have been confirmed to do 1600x1200@75. Probably the fastest easiest is just to pick up a sun tube, they are cheap and plentiful and I see them all the time on craigslist.
You probably have a SOG monitor. SUN never used the same pins as SGI for non-SOG signals. For SOG signals, some monitors may not like the other voltages on the other pins, YMMV depending on monitor. See the new wiki article.
13W3 is a wonderful standard that defines pins for composite H+V sync, separate H&V sync, and sync on green. There are enough possibilities for many vendors to have their own semi-proprietary connector if they ignore the other possible permutations. Haven't seen one yet with horizontal sync on green with separate vertical, but wouldn't put it past someone...

On the plus side a number of 13W3 monitors do support all standards (though generally not the V6/V8 refresh rates), sadly they're mostly big tubes (though a 21" Trinitron in the flower of health is a sight to behold).

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
I found on on fleabay that has "Includes Horizontal and Vertical Sync, SUN, SGI, Next Version" in the description. Is this what I am looking for?

Is this what I am looking for?
Why not skip the maybe-it-will / maybe-it-won't crap shoot and buy one of the 13w3>HD15 adapters SGI made specifically for the task. It was designed for the job and even includes the cable: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16722865

The seller, whiter, has been around here pretty much from day 1. He *knows* what will and won't work with SGI hardware - don't know if the same could be said about a relatively anonymous eBay seller

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I sent him a PM.

I can not shell out too much money, because I need to save up funds to purchase 6.5.30 overlays :(

EDIT: He is not sure if it will work on a non SoG monitor :/

reid wrote:
Zerolapse wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought I just read a post that said Deep Space Cables was dead?

-Jesse

I thought they were too. Hopefully the aren't....because I sent them $30!

I would email them and see if you get a response in a couple of days. If you do, great, you'll probably get it. If not, be prepared to wait a bit longer and get ready to escalate whichever dispute mechanism you use...PayPal or CC. I assume you didn't mail them anything!

They're dead. I paid for two adapters in December and hadn't received them by February. They didn't respond to Paypal communication either by me or Paypal themselves - so Paypal refunded me.

They're dead. I paid for two adapters in December and hadn't received them by February. They didn't respond to Paypal communication either by me or Paypal themselves - so Paypal refunded me.

A little necromancy... Just another nail the in coffin (sadly) for Deep Space Cables. No response, and I gave them the max time that I was still covered under Paypal. Wish they'd take their webpage down. Reckon I'll be hunting for an adapter too.
mike