Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

NFS irix and linux server

I need to use nfs for a sharing mi files in my linux server. I use a mandriva dist and i succesfully setup my linux box as nfs server/client.

The problem is the irix client side. The gui tools not find my shares... if i use a command mount (in prompt or fstab) all work but show my this message: "mount:server does not provide support for any security mode, will use
default even if it violates RFC 2623" this is a problem? Why show me this message? Is possible to fix it? Why gui tools of irix not find my shares? I not have firewall end i have tryed some variant of /etc/exports in linux side but with no success.

I have tryed to use "unfs3" instead of "nfs-server" in linux side and my sgi don't show the message but when i list the shared diretory work.... when i go in one of the shared directory and list the contenent my shell crash....

Sorry for my poor english... ;)
I realise that's possibly not much help in your current situation but a) do you have autofs installed and b) have you tried it? (cd /hosts/<hostname_of_exporting_system>/<export>

I had *all* kinds of weird issues - including ones like these - getting a Linux (or OSX, or Solaris, or Debian/kFreeBSD, or a NetApp filer) box to export in a way that pleased my IRIX installs, but what I discovered is that even when my (otherwise working on other systems) NFS exports failed to mount manually under IRIX, autofs would pick them up without a single complaint. I now no longer bother manually mounting NFS shares, except from my Ubuntu 8.10 box running nfs-kernel-server, which IRIX seems to accept as one of its own. Maybe it's because I installed MaXX on it :D

FWIW, here's my /etc/exports from the Ubuntu box:

Code: Select all

# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
#      to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
#
# Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
/irix      10.10.10.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check) 192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
/500g      10.10.10.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check) 192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
/media/disk   10.10.10.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check) 192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
:Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Fuel: Image 8/E Image 8/M (1973) Image 8/M (1975)
i have tryed cd /hosts/mynfsserver/dir but the result is no file or directory (my automount is off)

I have tryed your settings in my linux /etc/exports but nothing change

with editing fstab my nfs net work correctly but remain the question why gui tools (system preference, add remote resource ecc) not view my shares, and what does the message "mount:server does not provide support for any security mode, will use
default even if it violates RFC 2623" ????? when i launch the mount command...

P.S. irix sever linux client work perfect without any problem...
marmotta wrote: with editing fstab my nfs net work correctly but remain the question why gui tools (system preference, add remote resource ecc) not view my shares, and what does the message "mount:server does not provide support for any security mode, will use
default even if it violates RFC 2623" ????? when i launch the mount command...

No idea , but the one hit on Google for that error is of another person who got that error message on IRIX but it *did* work.
http://www.mombu.com/gnu_linux/gentoo/t ... 81139.html

If you want a random guess, maybe it's that you're adding options into fstab that the GUI tools don't?
:Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Fuel: Image 8/E Image 8/M (1973) Image 8/M (1975)
I solved the problem with a option sec=sys in exports (linux side) :D now automount go correctly and mount command don't show any message

Now the problems: toolchest "find shared resource" continue at no work...

I have analized my sys log and i have two errors: "portmap:Address tcp6 family not supported by protocol family" and "portmap:Address udp6 family not supported by protocol family" another error is "sendmail: unqualified host name (Octane) unknown; sleeping for retry"

How do I fix this errors?
marmotta wrote: How do I fix this errors?
You might want to take alook at the IRIX Installation and Customization nekowiki:
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/ ... tomization
You can probably resolve the IPv6 <tcp6/udp6> and unqualified host errors in the syslog by comparing the configuration of your IRIX box with some of the suggestions in the wiki.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
At least in the IRIX 6.2 era the graphical NFS tools only worked properly with IRIX on the other side, so I started using the command line (which works just fine) and haven't tried it on IRIX 6.5. I suppose I should, but for now I'd say just use the command line (mount -t nfs etc. etc. etc.).
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
command line was/is almost always better
r-a-c.de
I solved the errors with the neko wiki! My hostname is now complete end i have enabled ipv6

Now i have only one error in syslog relative at nsd... it try to find yp and start nis... with no luck, i not use nis! This error is normal?
if you don't use it you can uninstall nfs.sw.nis
r-a-c.de
....or turn it off via chkconfig.
:Indigo2IMP: [ R10k-195/MaxImpact +TRAMs/896Mb/73Gb-15krpm/G160/6.5.22 ]
:Octane2: [ Dual R12k-400/V8/2Gb/73Gb-15krpm/6.5.29 ]