Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

fun with network install onto clean disk - Page 2

Hello,

You can also add to your wiki article that this is also valid for FreeBSD 6.2.

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
LoWeN wrote: Hello,

You can also add to your wiki article that this is also valid for FreeBSD 6.2.

@+

LoWeN

Hello LoWen,
Updated ! Thanks for the information.
PB
Octane R14k 600MHz, V6, 2048 MB RAM, 73GB HD0, 18GB HD1, 73GB HD2
pub_bronx wrote: Wiki article about net-installing an Octane from a FreeBSD box added here !

Nice! Thanks!
Very nicely done document - thanks for putting it together!
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Hello,

Some more additions :

- You can use /etc/hosts.equiv with "+ +" line. Confortable when you need to redeploy a large amount of systems.
You don't need to create a huge amount of entries in /home/guest/.rhosts
- After a failed attemp the system might bug you with a message teeling you that a previous miniroot is already existing. What ever you try it will end up with a can't find unix on partition(1). resetenv will fix it.
- Strange problem I faced. After a resetenv my system boot normally. Load miniroot normally. Then nothing anymore. In fact my console goes to the serial. I tried to do setenv -p console g. No luck. So don't worry and have a look at your serial after the reinstall it will be fixed.
- I have extracted all my cds under a folder representing it's name. Symlinking is not working under tftp.
So I had to make a 6530 folder and copy all my 3 cds under it instead og having 6530_cd1 and link under 6.5.30 folder.
But it nicely works for the nfs further on at the time you open distro. So I have done it for the base.
- With 6.5.30 don't load the complementary application at the install time or your print system will default to esp printpro and it requires a license.

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
Wiki updated (at the bottom...). Thank you, LoWeN!
PB
Octane R14k 600MHz, V6, 2048 MB RAM, 73GB HD0, 18GB HD1, 73GB HD2
up, I m trying to setup a Install server on virtualbox with freeBSD 8.1. I read the wiki and I've modified the inetd.conf file.

My octane can't run fx or start the installation. Unable to execute bootp...: invalid argument. unable to load bootp... is not a valid file to boot
You might want to try using DINA . There's a draft how-to for setting up DINA in the wiki that includes a guide, links to the VM image and original docs, forum threads, etc. I've got more changes to make to the page, but from where it ends the original docs will get you the rest of the way.

Depending on what host system you have available you should run DINA using VMware Player. Converting the VM to run under Virtual Box might be possible, but you'll have to deal with some different virtual devices being presented to DINA.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
I tried DINA on virtualbox and it didn't work. And I don't know why, I had not network with vmware
Ah - sorry if that was you in the other thread and I didn't remember.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube: