Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Problems with Fuel

Hi!

My Fuel has arrived today. I was very happy. I plugged in everything needed and pushed the power button. Solid red light, blinking white light and automatic power off :shock: What the hell is that? :(
I don't have any experience with SGI machines but I'd like to have ... :cry:
:Indigo: || Apple PowerMacintosh G4 MDD || Sun Ultra 20 || Sun Ultra 10 || Sun Ultra 5 || Sun SparcStation IPX || INMOS B004 Transputer board
Indyboy wrote: Hi!

Solid red light, blinking white light and automatic power off :shock: What the hell is that? :(

The Fuel owners manual has some basic info on the interpreting the status of LEDs. Hopefully it's the result of something simple, like over zealous handling during shipping jarring something loose?
I've connected the Fuel with my BeOS machine through serial connection. Here's the outpput what I've got:

IP35 PROM SGI Version 6.210 built 02:33:51 PM Aug, 26, 2004
Running in DDR mode
Testing/Initializing memory ......... DONE
Copying PROM code to memory.... DONE
Discovering local IO .................... DONE
Discovering NUMAlink connectivity ........
Local hub NUMAlink is down.
*** Local network link down
DONE
Found 1 objects (1 hubs, 0 routers) in 30360 usec
Waiting for peers to complete discovery .... DONE
No other nodes present; becoming global master
Global master is /hw/rack/001/bay/01
Initializing any CPUless nodes ..... DONE
Checking partitioning information .... DONE
No other nodes present; becoming partition master
Loading BASEIO prom ...... DONE

BASEIO PROM Monitor SGI Version 6.210

At this point it turned off :(
:Indigo: || Apple PowerMacintosh G4 MDD || Sun Ultra 20 || Sun Ultra 10 || Sun Ultra 5 || Sun SparcStation IPX || INMOS B004 Transputer board
Connect to the L1 port (serial port located on the motherboard) to see why the L1 is turning the machine off. Could be environmental monitoring.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I haven't got any cables for Fuel :( I have only this big red lovely box ... :)
You had a serial cable to connect to the rear of the box - same cable to connect to the L1 port on the motherboard - 9-pin serial.
All Rights Reserved.
I wouldn't like to argue but L1 port on my Fuel looks like usb connector on my HP Deskjet.
I can recognize a serial port connector :wink:
You're not looking in the right place. Take the side panel off your Fuel and locate the L1 serial port on the motherboard , near the PIMM.

viewtopic.php?t=10802
All Rights Reserved.
Pardon me, you're right :oops:
I connected the cable to the motherboard but I've not received any "readable" output. I can type in if it's needed. Maybe wrong settings?
Could be - thought it is was 19200/8/1/n but you may need to experiment on the line speed.
All Rights Reserved.
The correct is 38400/8/1/n :)

001a01 ATTN: XIO 12V bias low warning limit reached 10.500V

001a01 ATTN: XIO 5V high fault limit reached @ 6.630V

001a01 ATTN: brick auto power down in 30 seconds ...
Yep, either a bad power supply or (more likely) incorrect environmental monitoring. If you feel like taking a chance you can turn off the env monitoring by issuing 'env off' at the L1 prompt. Then boot the system.
All Rights Reserved.
After turning off the L1 everything is fine :D Thanks everyone!

Is it possible to upgrade that evil L1 monitor?
Nope, you'd need to swap the entire motherboard - it's integrated. Glad it's working for you though.
All Rights Reserved.
You told us that the machine arrives a few day ago... if you bought this machine from a official reseller sent it back and ask for a replacement or get your money back.

regards
Joerg