Everything Else

The unfortunate reality of being at the mercy of clouds

Imagine you have a deadline, you are under pressure, you are in a rush to modify your pcb.
So you start your EDA and then this happens...

The above picture comes form internet, so now I know it also happened to other users, as it happened yesterday to me.

It's funny how things go in circle. In 80s there were timeSharing mainframes, and it was the primary reason people in companies jumped on PCs. Personal Computers (Personal -> individual) allowed individuals to gain control over their own data. So, they were no longer held hostage by their data being in silos owned by other companies.

So, why on the why Autodesk is now promoting cloud services? Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. Autodesk is wrong in her opinion if she believes *users* haven't learnt the lesson, including reasons to move from EagleCAD, whose license is unacceptable, to new CAD programs (gEAD and DipTrace) and figure out how to convert existing designs into new-CAD formats.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
Precisely. All is well and good until the connection goes down, or the infrastructure has technical difficulties, and then you're completely SOL. And then everybody acts totally shocked and surprised like nobody could possibly have seen this coming.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Computers fail. I would rather the failure happen in my house, next to my reinstall CDs and screwdrivers, rather than in a datacenter where they're doing who knows what.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image
Dodoid wrote: Computers fail. I would rather the failure happen in my house, next to my reinstall CDs and screwdrivers, rather than in a datacenter where they're doing who knows what.

Depends, there's a lot of things I'd rather not run. If I can find a trusted partner I'm happy to let them deal with screwdrivers and software deployments....CDs, how cute, sadly CDs aren't part of software distribution anymore - you have to be (fr)agile and cloudy and stuff - more buzzwords.

What happens with the Continue button in the screen shot, and what is the context? Is this a poor license enforcement scheme preventing you from using a product you're licensed to use because someone bungled up a server somewhere? Or is this failed access to a project stored in the clouds? The former being a bad design, or bug-I expect a product with internet based license servers to work untethered for a reasonable period in case of server maintenance or lack of network access. The latter being a workflow problem where the user should use on-prem storage, or accept the risk that the service might be down.

When services work it's great not having to fix stupid computer problems and maintain this crap. When your business is printing banners or designing circuit boards any time not doing that is time you can't bill for. So outsourcing the problems that aren't your core strength or core business makes sense. You get to focus on what you're good at. When you're a computer professional it's easy to think that you're giving up control. From the business side they already feel that way. They are at the mercy of in-house IT or someone-else IT.

The trade off is you don't always get to pick when maintenance or failure happens. You don't always get to choose when failure happens on-prem either though.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:
Cloud is king.. it's safe.. it's reliable.. it makes you lose weight and you can look younger.. live longer.. just use the cloud!!!

Well kiddies.. truth is, it's not as good as you may think..

The day I join the cloud will be the day I die, hopefully meeting Big Gee discussing my outstanding life.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
uunix wrote: The day I join the cloud will be the day I die, hopefully meeting Big Gee discussing my outstanding life.

+1
As soon as I figure out a 99,9% or so reliable way to host my mail I dump gmail/apple mail as well.
Image Image
I came across opinions on the future of EagleCAD. Interesting alternatives.
At my place of employ we use OrCAD, it's great for schematic capture and PCB layout but for circuit sim LT Spice blows the OrCAD version of Spice completely away, and LT Spice is free... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: At my place of employ we use OrCAD

v10?

At the end, I bought the workstation, so I now can learn OrCAD. It costed me a lot of money, but the hardware is very fast, stable, and it comes with a full license.

vishnu wrote: LT Spice

I put 500 euro in Tina-v8. It's the best spice ever.
LT Spice comes from a limited version of it.

p.s.
I am going to buy this routing software, you can export the netlist from OrCAD and import into Electra, and this gives you more power under your finger tips.
it's just them adopting industry trends so that they can leverage some sort of imaginary 'value' as a marketing point
Including mbed :roll:

Who on the planet can accept to put his/her personal sources on a remote toolchain builder?
They say, as 'bonus', the toolchain is always updated so you don't need to waste your time with it.
Y888099 wrote:
vishnu wrote: LT Spice

I put 500 euro in Tina-v8. It's the best spice ever.
LT Spice comes from a limited version of it.

Well yes, LT Spice started out as a derivation from the final release of Berkeley Spice, but by now it's been completely re-written in C and enhanced a million times over. In my experience simulating complicated analog circuits LT Spice is anywhere from 100 to 1000 times faster than OrCAD Spice, and in some situations OrCAD Spice completely fails to come up with any solution. I'm sure Tina 8 is good, and 500 Euro is a great price (esp. when compared to the Chinese telephone number price Cadence charges for OrCAD), but until such time as LT Spice fails to come up with the goods (which I doubt will ever happen) it will remain as my simulator du jour... :D
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2: