Everything Else

getting a vehicle for moving computers

Any recommendations for a good van or truck? I am going to have some sgi computers shipped to me pretty soon, costing a small fortune because of the weight. Figured for the next time i would get a good van or truck and make the trip myself.Need to get out of florida, could take a break from it for a while, may as well make a trip out of it. Anyone gone on any trips to pick up gear, any recommendations for a good vehicle that would be up for the task? Something that would be up for a long haul that would not be prone to major problems. i would prefer more storage area over fuel economy. plan is to load it up.
I rented a uhaul 12x6 trailer in the past,when i picked up the pdp 11 and related gear, that worked pretty well, so maybe ill just get a real good truck and rent the trailer as needed.
I am open to suggestions, never really made a big trip before, but want to start getting things together so next time something good comes along i am ready to pick it up.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:
Do you have an SUV? I'd recommend renting a trailer and hooking it up to a truck/SUV if you have one, if you don't, then I recommend Penske personally - not Uhaul as I've had trucks they rented to me break down - and I don't mean, oh, the A/C stopped working. I mean oh, the master cylinder line split and now I have no brakes! or Oh, the magic lamp light is on - better shut it off before I spin a bearing!
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
When I moved everything to/from a storage unit when I constructed my computer annex, I rented a truck with a tail gate lift.

I've successfully moved tall racks over long distances using a horse trailer. They have a ramp to load the equipment, and it's possible to secure a rack inside the trailer with straps. You can stand inside and unlike most other trailers they usually have a solid roof. Just get rid of the straw and shit before you hit the road ;)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: When I moved everything to/from a storage unit when I constructed my computer annex, I rented a truck with a tail gate lift.

I've successfully moved tall racks over long distances using a horse trailer. They have a ramp to load the equipment, and it's possible to secure a rack inside the trailer with straps. You can stand inside and unlike most other trailers they usually have a solid roof. Just get rid of the straw and shit before you hit the road ;)

Moving lots of supercomputer equipment into an innocuous looking suburban house from a horsebox... You must have had the neighbours talking about what you really must be doing for a living. Just erect about 5 prominent large satellite dishes pointing in various directions and start calling it your lair or the base to complete the illusion :)
Full size van like a promaster or sprinter. You want something you can stand up in and a low floor for loading. Or box truck with liftgate.

Oh and lots of pads and straps.

You do not want an SUV or pickup truck unless you are only using it to pull a trailer. Better off with a minivan at least.
I always go for a box truck with a tailgate lift if I can motivate the cost. I've tried many other forms and ruined both cars and equipment :)

This is what it looked last time I moved things:
http://vaxbarn.com/index.php/41-acquisi ... al-journey
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
I picked up a GMC 2500 van. Pictures soon.

I figured it would be a good investment to pick up some gear in the future.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213: