Everything Else

Email service recommendations - Page 2

guardian452 wrote: Welp... my ISP is still out :/ the only other option here is twc/comcast so it's not like I have a choice.

Put another couple beans in the jar :P
robespierre wrote: there are schemes called "forward secrecy" (or, redundantly, "perfect forward secrecy") that are designed to prevent that type of prospective ciphertext storage. the idea is that a conversation takes place in or near real-time, and after each step, the secret that authenticates the previous chain of steps is published. so once the recipient has received and opened a message, and used that step's secret to verify it, the protocol makes future authentication of the message impossible.

Yes, but that still doesn't deal with the insecure endpoint problem, and as long as people use $FREE mail services that don't care about such things, there's going to be lots of insecure endpoints.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
I don't recommend it when Dovecot or UW IMAP Server will meet your needs, but as a reference point I run Cyrus on my own server, supporting a few small domains. Powerful, flexible, and at times frustratingly arcane - and ludicrous overkill for what I'm doing with it. But then I worked for a company selling MTAs, mailstores, and webmail front ends designed to scale up to installations with 100,000+ users, so my expectations are pretty ludicrous too.

If you want to run your own mail server, I'd recommend using a real or virtual server in a proper data center.

• A VM with root access costs US$10-15/month
  • Home-based power and connectivity outages don't impact service
  • Less likely to wind up on somebody's DNSBL (IP address blocklist) thanks to the botnet-du-jour
  • Hosting company will often include secondary DNS and MX
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
This looks interesting for a small operation :

http://www.xmailserver.org/

Can never tell until you get in there and start rooting around, tho ...
Do yourself a favor and get an SDF account. You even get free usenet access when you register.
:Octane2: 400Mhz V8
What about qmail? I worked for InMotion Hosting once upon a time ( terrible host by the way ) they used Exim/Courier, which is a nightmare, so when I got my free employee VPS I excised that out for qmail/opensmtpd and I never had any issues, except cPanel bitching at me because I literally had to go in and rewrite some of their crap perl scripts to disable mail server management.
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
TeamBlackFox wrote: What about qmail?

Funny you should mention that ... I was just looking for it on opencsw but no luck :( Build your own should be easy but I'm not up to speed on the svcadmin thing :(
surrealdeal wrote: Do yourself a favor and get an SDF account. You even get free usenet access when you register.

Price is right but PPTP VPN ? Eeeeuw :(
If you need web based mail services check out:

mail.ru
unseen.is
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
hamei wrote: This looks interesting for a small operation :

http://www.xmailserver.org/

Can never tell until you get in there and start rooting around, tho ...

We used that here at the office for years until we jumped ship to Office365. Xmail actually works really well, takes a few minutes to setup and has a very little bloat. The support and community are shit and as far as I can tell development has stopped, but the documentation works just fine for 95% of the trouble you may have. You better like editing text files :D
VenomousPinecone wrote: Xmail actually works really well, takes a few minutes to setup and has a very little bloat. The support and community are shit and as far as I can tell development has stopped, but the documentation works just fine for 95% of the trouble you may have.

Really ? cool, thanks !

You better like editing text files :D

At least I don't have to configure it through iTunes :P

edit: the ignorant loser dipshit hard-coded gcc all through xmail. Given that there's a Solaris makefile I had hopes but no such joy. Is this a pandemic or something ?

I'm so tired of these morons :(