Everything Else

Automatic colo(u)r temperature with f.lux

http://stereopsis.com/flux/
Attachment:
flux-ab.jpg
flux-ab.jpg [ 11.12 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

I learned of this program now that I have been flirting with cydia on my cell phone for a while; It is also available for computers (windows mac linux) The OSX version seems to work well with 10.6 at least. I like the effect but I wonder what the hardcore photo-guys and film color correction operators think about it ? Maybe future devices will come equipped with advanced ambient light sensors that will adjust the colour temperature automatically ?

They have also posted a fair amount of evidence for health benefits. http://stereopsis.com/flux/research.html

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
nice linky mark

sort of a calibrator for the tiny displays. is this all software that funks the LUT of the iphone according to daytime? does it get any readings from the iphone's sensors?

the health-wise info on their site is known and relevant, part of the arduous path of working with displays is the overload of the optic nerve and the assorted issues that it brings. sleep disorder is one of them. kids going epileptic due to video-game overdose is another.
Been running f.lux on my Mac Book Pro for quite sometime now (10.7 Lion). Initially installed it after it was recommended as a potential battery prolonger. After switching one evening from the Mac Book Pro directly to a Mac Pro (without f.lux) I found it was also noticeably easier on the eyes.

The f.lux web site wrote:
During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
The f.lux web site wrote:
During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

I wonder if you don't achieve the same thing just by turning down the brightness ? Also, over time I've gone away from the flashy busy desktops to the plainest setup I can get, and the eyes are much happier.

An odd thing I've noticed with FF3, and that's that gtk2 fonts are perhaps too sharp ? are slightly blurry shapes easier on the eyes than knife edges that never occur in nature ?
hamei wrote:
I wonder if you don't achieve the same thing just by turning down the brightness ?

would help with extra headaches coming from your iris slowly burning out (most default brightness settings are set too high for any kind of use longer than an hour)

f.lux deals with colour temperature according to normal brain<->eye adjustment cycles and as syb+rec report takes the extra bluish tints out of the way.

hamei wrote:
Also, over time I've gone away from the flashy busy desktops to the plainest setup I can get, and the eyes are much happier.

we used to have a quick rule of thumb about desktops when recruiting graduate kids. a quick look on a desktop goes a long way, but that's a story in itself :)

hamei wrote:
are slightly blurry shapes easier on the eyes than knife edges that never occur in nature ?

absolument monsieur. blur/ry is being used out of context these days, some (kind of) blur is essential for proportions, depth and assorted basics.
fu wrote:
does it get any readings from the iphone's sensors?
No, but that would be really cool for a future generation. For now, the software calculates sunrise/sunset from your location and time of day. It would be nice to have a manual override (or maybe plugged into the philly hue kit )

Quote:
the health-wise info on their site is known and relevant, part of the arduous path of working with displays is the overload of the optic nerve and the assorted issues that it brings. sleep disorder is one of them. kids going epileptic due to video-game overdose is another.

Indeed.

Technically speaking, the software works quite well. The only program it causes flickering with for me (and I play a fair amount of different games) is Halo.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"