Everything Else

"A song of ice and fire" - worth reading?

?
Oskar45 wrote:
?

Although no one on here cared to comment, I started to read the saga anyhow. While Volume 1 has 800+ pages, it is by all accounts absolutely enjoyable. Just grab it and delight...
Can't remember ever reading any RR Martin although the name is familiar. Still pretty miffed when they started grouping fantasy in with sci-fi. At least you can usually be sure which genre it is from the crappy cover art. For the longest time I haven't been able to read anything less than a trilogy. Five books is definitely my speed though, enjoy!:-)

DECUS Member 368596
He's been the toast of the town since HBO announced they'd do a mini-series based on Game of Thrones. Which I guess did well, because the media is still gushing about him... He's supposed to write nice dense, multi-line stories that take a long time to resolve, which I'm all for provided it doesn't feel like it's being stretched out to generate one more $9 paperback. (No indication he does, but I can think of a few...)

Dorf sex.
Twincest.
Head Smashing.
Flaying.
Beheading.

Hell, then you got awesome dudes like: the Dornish Viper, the Hound, the Mountain that Rides, etc. Good times.
VenomousPinecone wrote:
Dorf sex.
{ ... }
Hell, then you got awesome dudes like: the Dornish Viper, the Hound, the Mountain that Rides, etc. Good times.
I didn't understand most of that. Is this where your neko handle came from, by any chance? ;)

Dorf sex.
{ ... }
I didn't understand most of that. Is this where your neko handle came from, by any chance? ;)
READ them books, and you WILL understand what VP meant. Actually, he forgot to mention The Imp - one of my favorite characters in there...Anyhow, if you are in need of a satisfying page-turner for tonight, get yourself "A game of thrones" [Volume 1 of the saga]. It will keep you up until tomorrow morning...pleasant dreams afterwards :-)
Oskar45 wrote:
Actually, he forgot to mention The Imp - one of my favorite characters in there...
Well, for the moment I'll have to be satisfied with The Imp of the Perverse ...

I'm not knocking George, and from everything I've heard I'm sure I'll enjoy his books when I do finally pick them up. But in the meantime, I understand there are new releases from Alaistair Reynolds and Neal Stephenson out there somewhere...

Whoa, and somehow I missed this. Need to get on it, right jiffy.

Now for something completely different: My handle is from 3rd Rock from the Sun. Episode that involved camping...

NOTE You cannot use Virtual Disk Manager to create or to shrink physical hard drives.
Oskar45 wrote:
[...]he forgot to mention The Imp - one of my favorite characters in there...

I cannot forget the Imp, the Onion Knight, The Knight of Flowers or much of any really. Just too many to list, and I don't shit gold.
VenomousPinecone wrote:
I don't shit gold.
If you'd, you'd be an ass.
Oskar45 wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote:
I don't shit gold.

that came out so blissfully glib, it sounds like an old Austrian saying.

BTW while "you'd" is a contraction of "you would", not "you did", using both meanings in the same sentence without context confuses the distinction which one was intended. if it was just a typo just ignore that helpful hint.

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote:
I don't shit gold.

that came out so blissfully glib, it sounds like an old Austrian saying.

BTW while "you'd" is a contraction of "you would", not "you did", using both meanings in the same sentence without context confuses the distinction which one was intended. if it was just a typo just ignore that helpful hint.

No, it's not an old Austrian saying [we would say something more rude]. Actually, I thought no one [not even little schoolgirls] could have missed my allusion. Read http://www.familymanagement.com/literac ... mms27.html for a refresher.

But, I'm sorry. What I'd intended to say is, "if you would [shit gold], [then] you would be an ass". As a non-native English-speaker I am of course not aware of the fact that my original construction is confusing in proper English. Thanks for your correction. My bad :-(
Oskar wrote:
But, I'm sorry. What I'd intended to say is, "if you would [shit gold], [then] you would be an ass". As a non-native English-speaker I am of course not aware of the fact that my original construction is confusing in proper English. Thanks for your correction. My bad :-(

Not a correction, merely a shared clarification. I figured that was what you meant, when I looked up the scope of the contraction. While you're technically correct with the dual meaning of the contraction, without the context for "you'd" to discriminate between "you did" and "you could" the reader is left confused with your usage. I would avoid using both meanings without an explicate context for each, or at least one.

DECUS Member 368596
Vol. 5 finally out in pb!
While I've the first season on DVD [I really enjoyed it very much], do you think it would be worthwhile to get me the second season as well [after all, the third season started last weekend].
Oskar45 wrote:
While I've the first season on DVD [I really enjoyed it very much], do you think it would be worthwhile to get me the second season as well [after all, the third season started last weekend].

May as well, it's only $5 USD ...

Speed-read! Book 5 is already out :-)
hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:

May as well, it's only $5 USD ...
Oh mei - it's €35.00 over here :(