Apple

Intel iMac

Bought a 17" today but seems not many programs have the binaries for the new Intel Mac, not even sure if there's a driver for Elgato EyeTV.
What was I thinking@@

Anyway, looks nice as usual, 200-pin laptop SODIM memory instead of
184-pin desktop DIMM for the G5 iMac, so going to cost a bit more to max it up.
So far I have only installed Office 2004 and Final Draft 7, both works without losing speed but takes longer to load then my G5 DP PowerMac.

http://myo2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Intel-iMac-1.JPG
http://myo2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Intel-iMac-2.JPG
Oh, somebody who has one, nice.

It's question time.

Do you think that this would be worth it instead of a G5 iMac?

Right now, I'm working on replacing every computer I currently own (except maybe one or two) with either an intel-based iMac, or an iMac G5.

Pending the release of a few more universalbinary applications, do you think that it is really worth my time to invest in this new hardware base for the Mac platform just yet, or would you say, especially if I'm running applications like Aperture, (which I will be, yes I am aware that universalbinary for that isn't coming until March.) that it is more worth my time at the moment to get a G5 iMac?

I think what I will end up doing is getting the hardware, and then slowly buy applications for it, or downloading open source apps, as they become available in a universal binary form, or specifically for the Intel-based macs.

It looks good, I hope it performs and acts as well as it looks.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo
Reasons why I bought the Intel iMac

1. already have a few G5 Macs and it's the only Intel Mac in my local area
2. the G5 iMac in shop does not come with iLife 6
3. CPU consumes much less power, basicall a laptop in iMac's case
4. Better graphics card for similar amount of money
5. Apple has gone "all-in" with the Intel migration, as far as I know they would be lucky to make 100 dollars per iMac sold therefore I think they will try to make as many universal binaries avaliable as soon as possible
6. I was out of my mind.....

Pop into your local Apple center and try the Intel Mac before you make the decision, at the moment I don't feel the "Core Duo" CPU helps the iMac so much, at least I can't tell the speed increase compare to my G5s, Firefox and Thunderbird take as much time to start as my mini, but maybe this will change when I get more RAM.
yeah... waiting looks like the more reasonable decision in these cases, wait till the mid of the year or the end of it, sure new toys will come out and more apps will be "universalized"
Very true, Intel will have the 64bit dual core out around that time too.
I still don't like the idea of loosing the PPC... sigh.
Hey,

The iMac G5 also comes with iLife06. Actually all mac's do as of feb06. it will take a while before a lot of apps are avalliable in universal binary. Running apps with Rosetta uses a LOTS of RAM ;-) and is slow.

nice machine though :)

The_C

sunverilog wrote: Reasons why I bought the Intel iMac

1. already have a few G5 Macs and it's the only Intel Mac in my local area
2. the G5 iMac in shop does not come with iLife 6
3. CPU consumes much less power, basicall a laptop in iMac's case
4. Better graphics card for similar amount of money
5. Apple has gone "all-in" with the Intel migration, as far as I know they would be lucky to make 100 dollars per iMac sold therefore I think they will try to make as many universal binaries avaliable as soon as possible
6. I was out of my mind.....

Pop into your local Apple center and try the Intel Mac before you make the decision, at the moment I don't feel the "Core Duo" CPU helps the iMac so much, at least I can't tell the speed increase compare to my G5s, Firefox and Thunderbird take as much time to start as my mini, but maybe this will change when I get more RAM.
and the DDR2 667 SODIM RAM is freaking hard to find, bought a pair of 1GB from Crucial, was expecting them to be delivered last week, now Crucial told me they ran out of stock, lead time is up to 14 days.

Intego says their softwares are universal binaries, but people in my local Apple center show me the e-mail from Intego saying their softwares work under Rosetta, I am very confused now, isn't the whole point of universal binary is for the software to run natively in Intel Mac?
sunverilog wrote: Intego says their softwares are universal binaries, but people in my local Apple center show me the e-mail from Intego saying their softwares work under Rosetta, I am very confused now, isn't the whole point of universal binary is for the software to run natively in Intel Mac?

I have not tried it yet, but the Finder says NetBarrier X4 Installer is an Universal app.

We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
I bought one of the 20" models to play with; supposed to be here on Tuesday. Ordered it with 256MB VRAM and a single 1GB SODIMM. Picked up a second 1GB SODIMM from OWC as that was cheaper then getting them both from Apple.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I bought one of the 20" models to play with; supposed to be here on Tuesday. Ordered it with 256MB VRAM and a single 1GB SODIMM. Picked up a second 1GB SODIMM from OWC as that was cheaper then getting them both from Apple.

Cool!, I hope he/she 'll have a nice place inside your gallery :D
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
Whoa - just arrived. Got a shipping notice from Shanghai just yesterday too. Currently setting it up :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Whoa - just arrived. Got a shipping notice from Shanghai just yesterday too. Currently setting it up :)

They are made near Shanghai now ? Yet Another product that's made in China but costs three times as much as in the US :-(
Are Macs so expensive in China? I saw quiet a few people/students using iBooks and Powerbooks in the Beijing Starbucks.

Very fast too boot into OSX, but takes a long time to start Firefox or Thunderbird.
The IPEVO phone for Skype works with the Intel Macs, althought the sound quality isn't as good as I expected.

Intego's softwares work very well, version X4, X3 or earlier will not load), I tried ClamX but that won't load too, so end up parting another 70 pounds for the X4, their pricing is retarded, I have the previous version hense I asked for the upgrade price, was quoted 85 Euro to upgrade all my Intego softwares, but on the high street, I can buy a brand new copy for 70 UK pounds!

Crucial UK sells the 1GB 667 SODIMM for 124.54 UK pounds, I should have bought the 20" iMac from Apple with the memory upgrade as Apple UK charges 197 to upgrade the RAM to 2GB.

One bad thing about the iMac ----- Mightymouse SUCKS!!!
sunverilog wrote: Are Macs so expensive in China? I saw quiet a few people/students using iBooks and Powerbooks in the Beijing Starbucks.

Mac stuff is about 30% or more higher in China than in the US. Starbucks - yeah. Do you know who goes to Starbucks ? In fact, the very fact that there are Starbucks in China ... :-(