Apple

Mac is 30 years old - Page 2

I was copy editor for my high school paper and we did it in AppleWorks on a IIe in columns on an ImageWriter and then did manual paste-up from there. Later when I was editor of the medical school paper, it was all QuarkXPress, first on a beat-up Power Mac 7100 and then on a G4/450.

If you're really patient, NOS NiMH batteries for the 1400 turn up on eBay, and they are not difficult to re-cell. In fact, there was an NOS third-party VST one there (in shrink wrap, with the charger!) just this weekend that unfortunately got snapped up on Buy-it-now before I could nab it. The real PITA battery is the PRAM battery, which is visible under the keyboard and looks deceptively simple to swap out, but is a nightmare requiring significant disassembly of the bottom case.

Your OS 8.1 install does sound whacked. Mine runs 9.1 fairly well, but it has RAMDoubler, 64MB of physical RAM and the fastest G3 card ever made for it, so it's not exactly a typical system.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
So they call out the Macintosh TV and the Macintosh Portable (???, especially for the Mac TV - whoopee - we're taking a mediocre computer and mixing it with a tuner so you can switch the screen back and forth!) , but completely ignores over the PPC transition, which was fantastically slick technically?
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I think from their point of view... Or what they want you to think... Is that it was so slick the user didn't need to know or care about it.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
guardian452 wrote: I think from their point of view... Or what they want you to think... Is that it was so slick the user didn't need to know or care about it.

Which is why it beats out the Portable and the Macintosh TV by a long shot. Those machines' tradeoffs were very obvious to the users.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Ah, this thread brings back such fond memories. It's why I collect classic Macs to this day.

My first experience with Macs was in college, an SE model to do reports on (dot matrix printer), Mac Paint, and a few games. After I graduated with an Architecture BS degree, my first real work experience was trying to do CAD work on an Apple IIci with not enough RAM. It was so slow I could go get a cup of coffee while it worked to pan the image, lol. My employer was a such a cheap bastard. I finally convinced him to at least upgrade the puny 13" monitor to an 18" monochrome CRT with bnc connectors (he wouldn't spring for a color display, said that CAD didn't need it). MiniCAD 6 was a blessing. But a friend of mine got to work all day on a fully loaded Quadra 800 at his workplace, so I was always so envious.

A few years later, my first personal purchase was a Power Mac 6100 AV, and I was so pumped! The performance at the time was just so amazing.

To this day, my collection consists of an SE/30, a Quadra 700, 2 Quadra 840 AVs, a Power Mac 7100, 2 MessagePad 2100s, and an eMate. I also have a Power Mac G3 All-In-One and a Pismo G3 laptop I'm upgrading.

Also, I thought that HyperCard was just brilliant. Still have the complete set of floppies with manuals.
scottE wrote: Nice! I still have to respect anyone who who laid out newsletters with a typewriter, but there's just something about even dot-matrix printed pages that looks better.

Have you seen the output from a Selectric ?
he said a girl named Patches was found ...