Apple

Mavericks

Because we don't have a mavericks thread yet.

Third time I've done this (since 10.6) but it seems every time one of these new OS releases comes out, I jump on it, spend 1/2 hour downloading and over an hour installing, try it for a week or two, get fed up, and roll back to 10.6. At least this time around it was Free! Free! Free! Download Today!

Once you realize that the glossy sales print features are not worth the losses in finder and window management, it all becomes a big "meh." It seems like there are a few meaningful additions this time around; it remains to be seen whether the improvements in memory management, energy usage, and multi-monitor are worth it.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
Well, it's kinda OK-ish. I did not stumble over really a nasty bug yet. Emacs-24.3.1 (though Apple still bundles an antique emacs 22.1.1) works, Lisp works, Java7 works, VMWare Fusion 5 works ... even Shake still works fine. But there is no new feature where I could say: “Boy, how could I use an OS without this feature?”

But then, the new Tags feature is a step backward in usability — at least in my opinion. I liked the usage of color tints in the old Mac OS 9 days very much. I got used to the coloured labels instead of the coloured icons which returned with Mac OS X 10.3.

(Mac) OS X 10.9 uses colours for labels and for tags. Which means that a file can have several colours at the same time. So they put coloured dots before the file. Well, ... personally I don't like it. Now I have a lot of coloured dots in my Finder and a hard time to quickly visualized a file's context.

Why does OS X have such a mighty quartz display system when Apple does not use it to tint some icons?
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:

Person A: "I'm going to hack the Internet."
Person B: "Which one?"
Person A: (dramatic pause) "ALL of them!"
I tried installing it on my G5 but it doesn't work for some reason.(*)

(*)For the humour impaired: this is a JOKE. :roll:
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Upgraded my MacBook Air no problems. Barely noticed any differences though if I'm honest! Stuffed like tabbed finder I'm unlikely to use for example.
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
Doesn't seem much different WRT performance coming from 10.6 but I can run a lot of newer stuff that required lion. Upgrading my macpro will be more difficult, since it 'officially' only goes to 10.7. But I think I want to do it anyway.

At some points it seems to stutter but very rarely, no more than 10.6 did... and the improvement in battery life is noticeable.

I still don't like what they did to expose, or why they made the window traffic light buttons smaller (harder to click on). But I can now resize from any edge!
Hi tomvos.

I'm sure Mac OS XI 11 will offer a revolutionary idea of getting rid of files and storing everything in Newton style soups . :roll:

Andrew

tomvos wrote: Well, it's kinda OK-ish. I did not stumble over really a nasty bug yet. Emacs-24.3.1 (though Apple still bundles an antique emacs 22.1.1) works, Lisp works, Java7 works, VMWare Fusion 5 works ... even Shake still works fine. But there is no new feature where I could say: “Boy, how could I use an OS without this feature?”

But then, the new Tags feature is a step backward in usability — at least in my opinion. I liked the usage of color tints in the old Mac OS 9 days very much. I got used to the coloured labels instead of the coloured icons which returned with Mac OS X 10.3.

(Mac) OS X 10.9 uses colours for labels and for tags. Which means that a file can have several colours at the same time. So they put coloured dots before the file. Well, ... personally I don't like it. Now I have a lot of coloured dots in my Finder and a hard time to quickly visualized a file's context.

Why does OS X have such a mighty quartz display system when Apple does not use it to tint some icons?
Andrew Hazelden, VFX Artist
Personal Blog: www.AndrewHazelden.com

:O2: SGI O2, 195 MHz R10K, 320 MB ram, AV1 Video i/o card, 36GB HD
I can see why they don't have tinted icons anymore. With so much emphasis on icon design nowadays, and many finder windows already looking like a technicolour yawn, it would get out of hand quickly:

I suppose if you have a folder full of files all with the same icon, it would make more sense. But then you are probably using list view, and the icons will be tiny anyways. In my opinion (I don't use tags just like I didn't use labels), the new way is better :mrgreen:

Also notice a full row of buttons at the top of the finder... is that really necessary? (I know I can hide it) they replaced the button to show/hide the toolbar with... a button that makes it full screen? :roll:
guardian452 wrote: With so much emphasis on icon design nowadays, and many finder windows already looking like a technicolour yawn, it would get out of hand quickly:

If they're going to use pictographs, why not just cut to the chase and use Chinese ? It's all done, it's standardized, there's even tons of fonts available free ! free ! free download !

And all those years I thought the alphabet was a pretty neat invention ....
two girls for every boy ...
guardian452 wrote:
Also notice a full row of buttons at the top of the finder... is that really necessary? (I know I can hide it) they replaced the button to show/hide the toolbar with... a button that makes it full screen? :roll:

You can customize the toolbar. Right click on it and choose customize. Then grab the icons you don't want and drag them away and puff it's gone. You can also choose to have only text or icon or both text/icons showing
5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
I'm just bitter because my 'open terminal here' button quit working. but I can always fix it...

Actually didn't know you could customize the buttons. I figured you could but thought it might be hard enough to not futz with it.
guardian452 wrote: I can see why they don't have tinted icons anymore. With so much emphasis on icon design nowadays, and many finder windows already looking like a technicolour yawn, it would get out of hand quickly:

That, and it was done because tags are a lot more powerful now then simply a color code (plus you can assign more than a single color to an item at once). Good introductory article here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2059213 ... -tags.html
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
You can use mdfind via command line to find file with tags you use:
5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
guardian452 wrote: I can see why they don't have tinted icons anymore. With so much emphasis on icon design nowadays, and many finder windows already looking like a technicolour yawn, it would get out of hand quickly.

I agree, adding a tint to application icons won’t help much. But contrary to apples commercials, most files on my computer are not images but text files. Which result in lots of mainly white icons. I would not mind to be able to tint these files as I see fit.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:

Person A: "I'm going to hack the Internet."
Person B: "Which one?"
Person A: (dramatic pause) "ALL of them!"
GUI and behavior-wise, Mavericks seems to be fine. At least Apple is not rocking the boat, on the desktop, as much as Microsoft is trying to force fed a touch-oriented interface down every desktop user's throat.

What I find annoying is the silly arbitrary hoops Apple creates with every new release, when it comes to turn OSX into a proper development workstation. The whole having to track down the command line tools, after having installed Xcode, via an obscure additional download is annoying as hell. When those tools should be part of the Xcode package to begin with. A lot of FOSS ports were broken as well, due to arbitrary library/tool changes in Mavericks. Although most of those have been resolved, but still... annoying.

The retardation and removal of features in iWork and the App store as the distribution model for software is indicating that Apple wants to converge OSX and iOS.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"