Apple

Mac Pro mysterious levers question

This is probably a stupid question. ;)

I just got a new-to-me 2008 Mac Pro to use with Final Cut Pro. Does anyone know what those little levers are for that are above each of the hard drive bays? I originally thought they would be used to release each hard drive caddy but they aren't even mentioned in the manual as far as I can tell. How do they work? I tried pulling gently on them and turning them but they don't seem to want to move.

Are they just spring-loaded bumpers for the case cover to keep it from vibrating?

They are visible in this picture:

http://images.apple.com/au/macpro/image ... 090303.png

They hold on the side panel. To remove a hard disk, just pull it out. The hard disks lock in place when the panel release is locked (down). If you work the panel release lever with the panel off, you'll figure it out pretty quickly ;)

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
Oh, that makes sense. I didn't even think they might be actuators, they just looked too much like controls to me. Also, the fact that they lined up so neatly with each drive bay made me think they had to had something to do with the drives.

Thanks!

They do.

The latches that are visible hold the panel on the side of the computer. The same mechanical part has a pin facing downward into each drive bay. When the lever on the back side is closed, that pin pushes forwards to the front of the case- locking in the drive carriers as well as locking the case panel. You can see the T cutout in the drive carrier if you pull one of the drives. If you remove the panel then re-lock the lever, you won't be able to yank any of the disk drives out.

They probably designed it like that so the drives wouldn't slide out of the bays or make contact with the panel and cause it to vibrate.

-DN