Apple

Apple sucks the big ten inch - Page 2

hamei wrote:
Did I ramble enough yet ? can try harder if it's necessary.

Heh - you're doing fine, thanks. Confirmed what I thought might be the case, that the guy was assuming too many parallels between mobile service/companies in North America and China.

They didn't say it, but I assumed HK might set the trend for the mainland, while Korea would influence the rest of the Rim -- with a weird interference pattern sitting over Japan such that one wave from Korea they embrace, the next they skip - rinse, repeat. But I'm probably just revealing my own unfounded speculation there. ;)

Thanks again!

http://www.anorak.co.uk/347702/money/is ... orld.html/

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
guardian452 wrote:
http://www.anorak.co.uk/347702/money/is-microsofts-excel-the-most-dangerous-software-in-the-world.html/

Kind of funny :D

But I don't believe for a minute that JP Morgan makes multi-billion dollar decisions based on Excel. That stinks of "plausible excuse to tell the ignorant masses."

I also have to wonder how many real Englishmen don't know the expression "stuff ed shirt " ? Do they outsource that website to China ?
hamei wrote:
guardian452 wrote:
http://www.anorak.co.uk/347702/money/is-microsofts-excel-the-most-dangerous-software-in-the-world.html/

Kind of funny :D

But I don't believe for a minute that JP Morgan makes multi-billion dollar decisions based on Excel. That stinks of "plausible excuse to tell the ignorant masses."

I also have to wonder how many real Englishmen don't know the expression "stuff ed shirt " ? Do they outsource that website to China ?

If you read through it what they're saying is "somebody got the math wrong". They then go on to claim somehow that if the bank didn't have Excel they might possibly have not made the mistake, perhaps, maybe.

Come to think of it, on second reduction they really didn't say anything. The hard facts are obvious and have been known for a long time - in that story it's "check your math and check your subordinate's math" Nothing new there. The rest is taking an example and blowing it out of proportion.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
Come to think of it, on second reduction they really didn't say anything. The hard facts are obvious and have been known for a long time - in that story it's "check your math and check your subordinate's math"

I took the story as being a bit tongue-in-cheek but maybe not.

About 'check the math', I don't believe that for a minute. They put a couple billion on red and it came up black. When they got busted they needed a cover story. Wall Street is way too far into the world of fantasy for mathematics to apply.
Well can't expect much good out of a system that's built on equal parts greed and paranoia... :cry:

Short story, the guy is an idiot. Or what's worse, and far too common here, making a living selling schtick to the dumb foreigners back home.

Anyhoo, here's what I did : off in the countryside for a few days. Hit Maidanglao for lunch (it is not possible to get a drink with ice in it at any Chinese establishment in winter). Walking back home, took cameraphone photos of the various telephone stores. (Many of them are closed for the holiday but normally they are open until ten. That's also why there are not 40,000 people in every photo.) Pulled the photos out of the phone with the built-in mini-SD card which the iPhone does not have, panorama-ed them. (Sorry for the size but the details might be interesting to some people ?)

China Telecom gone make Apple rich beyond belief ! You decide.

Attachment:
pano_1.jpg
pano_1.jpg [ 849.28 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

Attachment:
pano_2.jpg
pano_2.jpg [ 695.4 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

Attachment:
pano_3.jpg
pano_3.jpg [ 869.73 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

Attachment:
pano_4.jpg
pano_4.jpg [ 620.87 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]
hamei wrote:

Uhm yes, they most certainly do. Though I have no idea whether or what role any spreadsheet may have played in any specific deal in the news.

Remember that 1) a few billion isn't necessarily that big a deal for these guys, price- or position-wise; 2) they aren't using the same kind of Excel spreadsheet you or I would use to manage the household budget. There are plenty of people at VLFIs* who need 64-bit Excel on 64-bit Windows, and have for years. If they think they can make money pricing something on an absurdly large/complex spreadsheet, they'll do it. If it means they can act independently instead of being reliant on some programmers to make changes that take days/weeks/months to code/test/deploy, they won't even waste a nanosecond thinking about it.

* Very Large Financial Institutions

Thanks so much, sm. Another myth down the drain. I thought that the stinking thieving banksters at least had sophisticated tools to accomplish their dirty work.

Somehow it's even worse knowing that, for instance, JP Morgan robs the middle class blind with all the profits coming from government subsidies, aka taxpayer theft, by using chicken-shit tools anyone can buy for a buck at the corner software stand ... this has got to be the biggest con game in history.

Quote:
... If they think they can make money ...

They don't make money. They are all broke, insolvent, penniless. They conned / scared the US government into paying for all their gambling losses when their retarded Ponzi scheme and the FDIC frauds blew up. They are nothing but criminals. Every single penny of "profit" they make is actually a penny stolen from the middle class, rerouted into their vaults in the Bahamas.

And they have not been stopped. Next time will be even worse : bankers are thieves. Watch and see.

What do you think will happen if the 99% ever wake up ?