Apple

G4 macmini

I been thinking about getting a G4 Macmini. The only question I have is how X.5 runs on it. It will mostly be used for internet, dvd watching, music, and some typing.
I had 10.5 running on a 1.5GHz PowerMac G4, and it was fine. I wouldn't call it speedy, but it was very usable, and should be fine given your listed uses. Max out the RAM.

I'd agree with bigD. I'm running 10.5 on my 1 GHz G4 iBook, and it is very useable. My iBook's RAM is maxed at 1.25 GB, and usually I have no complaints. Encoding in Handbrake is very slow, but Office apps and the internet are fine and dandy.

mike

Next major investment will be an intel mac mini.
I would run 10.4 it feels more responsive over all.

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
Intel mac mini of any kind is a better purchase IMHO. I have a 1.25ghz eMac still with 1gb of ram running 10.5 server. It does ok for emergency surfing / documents, but I would go insane with it as a daily driver. My 1.83ghz C2D mini runs circles around it, and my girlfriend's 2009 2.0 C2D mini is just fantastic.

As bigD said, if you go for a G4, you'll want to max out the RAM. The performance difference under Leopard between a 512/768 MB G4 and a 1 GB G4 is larger than the difference between a G4 running Tiger and the same G4 running Leopard.

Keep in mind that the internal drive on a G4 mini is sloow -- some (all?) of the G4 models only had 4200 rpm drives, and that can really slow down Leopard. If you have a faster spare drive laying around (either 2.5" ATA for internal use or an external FireWire drive), you might want to try using it as a boot drive. Again, the difference in performance with a faster drive will be greater than the difference between Tiger and Leopard.

I have started recommending to friends and colleagues to move their G4s to Leopard for security purposes, even if there is a moderate speed penalty. Tiger security is getting a bit out of date. At home, I only keep one machine on Tiger so that I can run Classic, but that's it.

I also agree that, unless you get a G4 mini for "almost free," an Intel mini, even the original Core model, is a better value. If you find yourself spending over $300 on a G4 mini and upgrades, you probably should go with an Intel instead.
When I do get it, I do plan on upgrade to 1GB. I didn't know the speed of the hard drive, so Im going to upgrade that too.
Check out http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/Mac_ ... PowerPC%29 for an excellent, illustrated guide to upgrading a PPC mini.
josehill wrote:
Check out http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/Mac_ ... PowerPC%29 for an excellent, illustrated guide to upgrading a PPC mini.

Thanks josehill
might as well throw in an SSD while you are at it...

Seven Segment Display?

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Solid State Drive.

All Rights Reserved.
Oh right, sorry. :)

Mac G4 1.25GHz
I have the kingwin 64gb ssd in my thinkpad, it is a little eerie to have a computer that makes NO noise at all. (in fairness, the original IBM drive was a real clunker, some of the noises it makes are very unnerving... and I am pretty sure even an ipod has a faster drive) BUT there is no gyroscope so the fun little demos and games don't work anymore.

might as well throw in an SSD while you are at it...

It'd be interesting to see how a G4 mini with an SSD would perform in real world benchmarks compared with a standard drive, but it'd be hard to justify paying for an SSD to put in an old mini. If you just happened to have one laying around, however... :D