Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Trying to get Acorn A5000 Keyboard working in macOS

Hello there,
A little while ago I bought a Acorn Archimedes A5000 keyboard:

So I could use it in my primary setup to replace the magic keyboard I'm currently using. With the aid of kbdbabel's open A5000 -> PS/2 protocol ( http://www.kbdbabel.org ), I hoped to get this working in El Capitan. But I've hit a snag on the last line of the instructions on how to compile the code ("write kbdbabel_a5000_ps2_8051.bin on an empty 27C256 or AT89C2051") I get the following error "usage: write user [tty]" which I don't understand what this means in the context I'm trying to use the command. Currently the keyboard is plugged into my Hackintosh's PS/2 port right now...

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do or know any other way I can use this protocol? I would really appreciate any help that maybe given!
Thanks in advance! ;)
Hackintosh VW (Late 2015) - Core i7-4790k, Geforce GTX 970 (primary card), Geforce GTX 780 Ti (render card), 8GB RAM ( http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PwQ8pg )
Surface Book (Mid 2015) - Core i7-6600U, GeForce GTX 945M, 16GB RAM
------------------------------------
Full time Introvert Tech Geek and 3D Animator... Or your money back guaranteed!
I think they meant use whatever appropriate tool you have to write that BIN to the controller or EPROM, not to literally type that command.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Indeed, old Unix hands know that 'write(1)' is the command for scribbling onto other user's terminals, and a great way to annoy people.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
ClassicHasClass wrote: I think they meant use whatever appropriate tool you have to write that BIN to the controller or EPROM, not to literally type that command.

Any tools you can suggest?
Hackintosh VW (Late 2015) - Core i7-4790k, Geforce GTX 970 (primary card), Geforce GTX 780 Ti (render card), 8GB RAM ( http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PwQ8pg )
So I've been looking on google for "tools that can write bin files to controllers", expecting that putting that in the search-bar would give me what I'm looking for... Naturally it has not so I'm still looking for a tool to do the suggested action... :P
The instructions in your first message say to write the .bin file to a 27C256 (or equivalent). That's the part number for a pretty common EPROM chip. So you need both an EPROM programmer (a.k.a. EPROM burner; i.e., a suitable piece of hardware) and the software to drive it, which might well be specific to your hardware. (Which is what I think ClassicHasClass meant when he mentioned an "appropriate tool".) So the exact details of writing to the chip will vary, which is why the instructions are vague. Googling for EPROM programmers will lead you in the right (and write! :lol: ) direction.

Your questions suggest that you're not familiar with the process, so it might be easier/cheaper/quicker to find somebody with a suitable EPROM burner to make the chip for you rather than getting an EPROM burner and trying to figure out how to use it.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000
jpstewart wrote: The instructions in your first message say to write the .bin file to a 27C256 (or equivalent). That's the part number for a pretty common EPROM chip. So you need both an EPROM programmer (a.k.a. EPROM burner; i.e., a suitable piece of hardware) and the software to drive it, which might well be specific to your hardware. (Which is what I think ClassicHasClass meant when he mentioned an "appropriate tool".) So the exact details of writing to the chip will vary, which is why the instructions are vague. Googling for EPROM programmers will lead you in the right (and write! :lol: ) direction.

Your questions suggest that you're not familiar with the process, so it might be easier/cheaper/quicker to find somebody with a suitable EPROM burner to make the chip for you rather than getting an EPROM burner and trying to figure out how to use it.

So it's not as simple as flashing something on the keyboard? Okay... I need find one extremely local to me...
write kbdbabel_a5000_ps2_8051.bin on an empty 27C256 or AT89C2051

The AT89C2051 is a microcontroller that uses parallel programming. So it also needs a device programmer with a socket, like the 27C256 EPROM does.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote:
write kbdbabel_a5000_ps2_8051.bin on an empty 27C256 or AT89C2051

The AT89C2051 is a microcontroller that uses parallel programming. So it also needs a device programmer with a socket, like the 27C256 EPROM does.

So these are inside the keyboard then?
Does anyone local to Chelmsford have a EPROM burner?

Honestly this is starting to sound like a problem for the summer holiday!
IAMNOTDEFECTIVE wrote: So these are inside the keyboard then?

No, the AT89C2051 is the main chip on the adapter board that you build from the layout and schematic you downloaded from kbdbabel.org. I don't see a 27C512 in the layout, though. In fact, the only place I see it mentioned is in the one line you quoted about writing the .bin file to the chip. That, in turn, is a comment at the start of the .asm file which contains the assembly language code for the AT89C2051 microcontroller. So you need to burn the .bin file into the AT89C2051 microcontroller's built-in memory (as robespierre mentioned) using an external programmer before doing final assembly of the circuit board you're making.

And forget everything I said about the 27C512 chip that's mentioned in the instructions. Having looked at the schematic and layout, I don't see one actually being used. (It's probably from a different version of the adapter.)
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000
I think I gotcha now: it's for an adapter board! The only trouble being this is outside my technical knowhow. I'm pretty tech-savvy but building boards is way out there! I'm just getting confused just looking at the schematics. :?

I don't know anyone who does do this sort of thing... ah well, it seems like using this keyboard is not mean't to be...
Shame, that keyboard has one of the nicest tactile feedbacks I have ever used.

The BBC Micro B keyboard too was a solid performer for heavy typing. Modding one of those would be a project :D I wonder if that is even possible without discarding everything else bar the casing and keys.
spiroyster wrote: Shame, that keyboard has one of the nicest tactile feedbacks I have ever used.

Indeed it is... I would be more then happy to get someone to create the board in question... I just don't anyone like that or how I would go about finding one... :?
Okay I'm going to look for PCB fabricators/assembly and see what I can find... Based on the schematics I downloaded from kbdbabel.org, what price should I be realistically looking at?
So I think what I might end up doing is buying the components and with the aid of my dad, try to build this adapter board in-house... I'm genuinely looking forward on seeing how this will blowup in my face! :lol:
Email Chris Curry (Ex Acorn), he was a nice guy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
uunix wrote: Email Chris Curry (Ex Acorn), he was a nice guy.

While I like this idea (it's really outside the box ;) ), I just don't see what this will do for me or how I would write such an email... :lol:
I actually have no idea if he's a nice guy really, there is a docudrama called Micro-Men that shows the story of the British 8bit computer industry in the early 80s. Quite a good program, anyway Chris curry is played by Martin Freeman(?) of the UK Office.
certainly worth a watch if you haven't seen it. I especially like the the part he is attacked by Sir Clive Sinclair with a rolled up newspaper.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
uunix wrote: I actually have no idea if he's a nice guy really, there is a docudrama called Micro-Men that shows the story of the British 8bit computer industry in the early 80s. Quite a good program, anyway Chris curry is played by Martin Freeman(?) of the UK Office.
certainly worth a watch if you haven't seen it. I especially like the the part he is attacked by Sir Clive Sinclair with a rolled up newspaper.

I see... Well that doesn't really matter as I can't get ahold of his email! XD