Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Naming Conventions.. what's yours? - Page 2

I worked for a company some time back and named them after English Premier football teams.. there was a side effect to that.. I didn't care to much about my rival servers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
Ships.

The Alphaserver with it's VMS needed a name that was 6 characters long only. So it got the name of a ship named Vandoc.

The Dell laptop got named Algorail, due it's role as a daily driver and because of it's pretty awful outward condition, but soldiers on because of it's important role of running Windows and games.

The Asus laptop got the name Mapleglen, since it is the newest and most sophisticated of the computers I own,I use it everyday and named after the majestic steamer that used to ply the lakes. It is a FreeBSD system and has been since it was bought.

The O2 was named Mantadoc, because it is smaller than the average, just like the ship it is named after.

The Octane got the name Montrealais, because it's the most powerful of the 4 classic systems(at 720MHZ) I own and particularly in honor of the vessel that left us for ship heaven earlier this year.

The Ultra 5 has the name Quedoc, since it resides on the same table as the Alphaserver. The Quedoc and Vandoc resided in a backwater for years before finally being recycled at a steel mill less than a half mile from each other. Hence the two computers also go hand in hand.

I did once have an Iphone 3GS named I-Brick, but it's since been decommissioned and I no longer deal with smartphones.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM