Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

PC case recommendations? - Page 2

Reminds me of those shaved rubik's cubes.

http://www.theendearingdesigner.com/62- ... biks-cubes
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
One of my friends has thermaltake level10, its mostly plastic but he likes it. It has a fold out headphone holder, and some stupid fan light controller where you can press a case button and the leds on the fans play different flash patterns, one makes it look like the fans are spinning backwards, another cycles through colours, etc.

I just have a mountain mods u2 ufo

http://www.mountainmods.com/images/images_big/U2UFODWO.jpg

It comes as a bunch of flat sheets of aluminium and some angle bar and it all screws together. Although honestly, after having done that I would rather make a case myself, it could be more sturdy if they used thicker alu for the frame and bolted it together instead of just screwing into tapped standoff things. It has a bit of wobble no matter how tight you do the screws.
me4twb wrote: It comes as a bunch of flat sheets of aluminium and some angle bar and it all screws together. Although honestly, after having done that I would rather make a case myself, it could be more sturdy if they used thicker alu for the frame and bolted it together instead of just screwing into tapped standoff things. It has a bit of wobble no matter how tight you do the screws.

If you replace the aluminum angle with steel it will be 3 times more rigid. Also you can weld the steel channel together, stiffer than bolted. And ditch those ugly screws, replace with buttonhead Allen screws with no washers, will look much nicer. If the side plates are thick enough you can use countersunk allens, that looks decent also.

Of course, at this point you may as well design your own case ... :D
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
me4twb wrote: One of my friends has thermaltake level10, its mostly plastic but he likes it. It has a fold out headphone holder, and some stupid fan light controller where you can press a case button and the leds on the fans play different flash patterns, one makes it look like the fans are spinning backwards, another cycles through colours, etc.

Ya, I could care less about lit fans and different colors, I certainly didn't buy it for that. I got it for the tool-less drive installation and the size of it (lots of room) and the cable management and the interesting design (not a boring rectangle) and the amount of drive bays and the ease of access to the various sections. The plastic would only bother me if this was something that supposed to move a lot and keep its integrity. It's more than rigid enough and very stable since it's just sitting on the floor next to my desk, as most computers would be expected to do.
I bought the Silverstone TJ-09W many years ago and I think that is still an extremely solid and very nice case:

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=94

I will keep if for the years to come, that is for sure :)
Image _ Betty Blue _
R12000A 400 Mhz ; 1 Gb RAM ; 72 Gb 15K HDD; IRIX 6.5.29
CrystalEyes; Dial Box; O2Cam "ZEYE"; external Toshiba SD-M1711 DVD-ROM; Octane speakers;
Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_ REKIEM_I7 _
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_ REKIEM_T5400 _
875W PSU / 2 x Intel Xeon Harpertown 4 x 3,33 Ghz / 1 x Geforce 4Gb GTX 970 / 1 x Geforce 1Gb GTX 750 / 32 Gb DDR2 667 ECC / Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB SSD and 3 extra Tb
_ Raspberry Pi _
:|
O2? *Duckandcover* :>
HAVE:
:Fuel: 900Mhz, 4GB of RAM, 80GB Intel SSD with adapter, V12.
:Octane2: Chasis, Xbow 1.4, motherboard, Cherokee PSU. See below.

WANT:
:Tezro: Quad 1Ghz, V12 graphics, 8GB RAM.
:Octane2: Looking for V12 graphics, 8GB RAM, and Dual 600Mhz.
:Fuel: M-audio card.
:Indigo2: 250Mhz, 1GB RAM, Newer purple version.
If this guy wasnt asking a fortune, i would also recommend the 230 case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Silicon-Gra ... 566a22e552

Man i want this case. Like bad.
HAVE:
:Fuel: 900Mhz, 4GB of RAM, 80GB Intel SSD with adapter, V12.
:Octane2: Chasis, Xbow 1.4, motherboard, Cherokee PSU. See below.

WANT:
:Tezro: Quad 1Ghz, V12 graphics, 8GB RAM.
:Octane2: Looking for V12 graphics, 8GB RAM, and Dual 600Mhz.
:Fuel: M-audio card.
:Indigo2: 250Mhz, 1GB RAM, Newer purple version.