Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

now *that* was a computer ... (more or less)

3D printers and raspberry Pi, we piss on thee from a great height :D
Attachment:
Eb_K&T.JPG
Eb_K&T.JPG [ 607.34 KiB | Viewed 592 times ]

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ci ... ib-149268/
I assume that thing is used to carve large chunks of battleship or freight train out of solid billet steel, or something similar?

No, those are good for smallish prismatic parts - things like gearbox housings that need to be worked on from several sides in one clamping. Or you can put a tombstone on the pallet, clamp 6 iPad frames to a side, and machine 24 bodies in one setup. Most horizontals will exchange pallets automatically so the operator can be loading up a second pallet while the machine is cutting the parts on the first. Then thump thump, change pallets, spindle is cutting metal again.

You only get paid for the time the cutter is making chips.

Or, if you are really trick and you have an assembly that takes, say, six different components, you can put a different fixture on each of six pallets and have the machine cycle through ten part A, ten part B, ten part C and so on. This way you get ten complete units out at a time rather than having to do 500 part A then 500 part B and have big piles of inventory waiting around to get assembled. Even if that is not the lowest production time per unit, it's usually systemically more efficient.

SMP for metal cutting :D but hey now ! we don' need no steenkin factory work ! We're all gonna be white collar Highly Trained Professionals !

Like the Highly Trained Professionals who outsourced the 6 billion dollar (will be ten billion before they can use it) twenty-five years to build, full of cracks, worthless for anything except a bicycle path, Bay Bridge. 'cuz you know, we're really really smart and special ! Factory work, manufacturing, eeeeuw ! We don't actually know anything but we all got an MBA !

Yeah, I'm bitter. Fucking worthless yuppies.

If you need big, maybe something like this :
Attachment:
mixmaster_impeller.jpeg
mixmaster_impeller.jpeg [ 196.83 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

That's an impeller for the public employee trough -- you know, the drug counselors, the assistants to the grief counselors, the stock brokers, the bankers, the think-tank cogitators, the primal scream therapists and oh yes, the Watchers and Informers ... made in China now, of course. As Angela Merkel said to Tony Blair when he asked, "How are you guys doing so well ?"

"We still make things, Mr Blair."

Still got a bike ? camshaft for a thumper. If you can kick this over I will not mess with you :shock:
Attachment:
thumpercam.jpg
thumpercam.jpg [ 325.98 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

Wait till you guys figure out global warming is not an Algore hoax ... what will all the MBA's do then ?
Hey look! No safety guards! ;)

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote:
Hey look! No safety guards! ;)

I know ... I realize the younger generation may not believe this, but once upon a time even the average low-salary, low-tech menial factory worker was smart enough to know that putting your hands under fifteen tons of moving steel was not a good idea.

And it was a federal offense to open other people's mail ....
But you got to smoke cigarettes on the shop floor. :twisted:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Interestingly enough, some things are still made in the Estados Unidos. Mostly artificial heart valves and the pizza that clogged the OEM version of the former.

hamei wrote:
primal scream therapists

We are gonna need a bigger impeller.