Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

more Borg - Page 2

hamei wrote:
I could get you two complete computers, a tape punch and a 2' x 2' x 4' plywood box of spares if you wanted to ship them from China :D

Tempting! One computer and the tape punch would be more than enough, though :D

Surface shipping for those two would probably be affordable if the Chinese post office still offers that option... I'll send you a PM in June and we'll see if it's feasible :)
ShadeOfBlue wrote:
Tempting! One computer and the tape punch would be more than enough, though :D

I best make sure they are still there .... there's a lot of stuff.

Quote:
Surface shipping for those two would probably be affordable if the Chinese post office still offers that option...

Umm, you ain't gonna be sending a PDP-8 by mail :shock: They aren't as tall but they're every bit as heavy as a Xerox laser printer. Let me make sure the stuff hasn't gone to the smelter before we get too excited tho. Most people don't consider tape punches and 1975 computers to be valuable :(

Sorry, I mixed up surface mail with freight :)

The PDP is about 50kg (110 lbs) and the tape punch about 20kg (44 lbs), right?

However, it has a linear power supply, so that is probably about half its weight. If the PSU is easily removable, the PDP could be split into two packages and sent by mail (it might exceed the max. dimensions, though).

hamei wrote:
Let me make sure the stuff hasn't gone to the smelter before we get too excited tho.

Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

hamei wrote:
Most people don't consider tape punches and 1975 computers to be valuable :(

It's strange that companies don't donate such things to a museum, especially since in most countries, they have to pay for someone to recycle the stuff... That HP plotter was older than the people who threw it away, so I guess they didn't even know what it was for, maybe that's the reason.