Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

CDE Code From 1999 Open Sourced - Page 3

VenomousPinecone wrote:
Nuke wrote:
[...]while very little of it will work on the Steambox.

Extrapolation and accurate prediction of the future was once a hobby of mine, then I started riding a skateboard and my ulcer went away. :lol:

I must admit I did make a large smile at this. :lol:
So the price was announced for the Piston.
For $1000 I can build a far better computer.... :roll:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote:
So the price was announced for the Piston.
For $1000 I can build a far better computer.... :roll:

Yes, and far larger.

Pontus wrote:
I think it's fair to compare the Steam Box with Intels NUC and apples mac mini. Both have comparable or better hardware (or have I missed something?) for a lower price.

No, when it comes to 3D graphics it's not better: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/am ... pu,10.html (and both NUCs and Minis use slower chips than the i7-3770K or i5-2500K).

I feel that I'm not alone in doubting it. They also promised a "$99 but eventually free" weak console and a more powerful console line which is literally a line of Steambox-branded third party PCs with Valve controllers.

Of course, every deal has its catch. You can't have everything cheap, even when Valve uses digital distribution. Especially when they promise to sell low cost games to recoup the costs of losing hundreds on every console.
GL1zdA wrote:
Pontus wrote:
I think it's fair to compare the Steam Box with Intels NUC and apples mac mini. Both have comparable or better hardware (or have I missed something?) for a lower price.

No, when it comes to 3D graphics it's not better: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/am ... pu,10.html (and both NUCs and Minis use slower chips than the i7-3770K or i5-2500K).

Ah. Well could the Steam Box be compared with the Arctic MC101 then?

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/office ... 4600m.html

Or am I out biking again?

Pontus, that's a bit slower than a Steambox...but yes. They're comparable.