Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Interesting piece on slashdot, no more Intel homebuilts?

Now that UEFI is shipping and you're going to need permission from WinTel to run anything but Windows 8 on your brand new WinTel or WinARM box, this http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/11/26/2016228/is-intel-planning-to-kill-enthusiast-pcs is nailing the coffin shut.

Now that UEFI is shipping and you're going to need permission from WinTel to run anything but Windows 8 on your brand new WinTel or WinARM box, this http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/11/26/2016228/is-intel-planning-to-kill-enthusiast-pcs is nailing the coffin shut.

UEFI <> Secure Boot and Secure Boot can be disabled on Intel boxes. As for BGAs, here's the whole roadmap. As you can see affected are i3s and lower CPUs. Which is logical, since after making a SoC there mainboard would be almost empty. This is what Intel wants to do and IMO it's the right direction, although $300 is to much for such barebone.

UEFI <> Secure Boot and Secure Boot can be disabled on Intel boxes.

Maybe for now, but we can expect that to silently disappear. And even now it not trivial according to what the guy on Distrowatch said about his recent laptop buy.

"Don't be so gullible, McFly!" The handwriting is on the wall.

One of many articles about Intel going BGA:
http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-sky ... ream-cpus/
Everyone is citing, interpreting and speculating about what PC.Watch has written about . It's a tempest in a teapot.

You can read about NUCs more at Intel website .

bluecode wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:
UEFI <> Secure Boot and Secure Boot can be disabled on Intel boxes.

Maybe for now, but we can expect that to silently disappear. And even now it not trivial according to what the guy on Distrowatch said about his recent laptop buy.

Until there are people buying Linux laptops there will be manufacturers making them. Making a separate product line without the "Designed for Windows" sticker and without Secure Boot won't cost them too much.

I don't really see this whole thing as a problem. AMDs e350 boards and such are all soldered chips, didn't stop me from buying them or other motherboard manufacturers from making them.

Slashdot is still around?

+1 :lol: