Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

sourceforge : wtf ?

What's the deal with sourceforge ? Went to grab a bit of code, the stupid download page now sticks six, count 'em six, stupid irrelevant adds in a language I don't read in my face, tells me "your download will start shortly" then cycles through this pitiful joke six or seven times before I get sick of them and close the window. WTF has happened here ? They used to be okay.
Cookies? Do you use a proxy to connect to it? Maybe cookies are lost somewhere between you and SF.

Turned off the proxy, tried a different browser on a different computer, tried the telephone ... same.

I guess they don't like people in China.
hamei wrote:
Turned off the proxy, tried a different browser on a different computer, tried the telephone ... same.

I guess they don't like people in China.

You can find all kinds of stuff on SF - maybe the people's committee in charge of the great firewall spotted something potentially subversive and added SF downloads to the do-not-pass-go list at the door to the great firewall ( along with other clearly counter-revolutionary tools-of-capitalism like Norwegian Broadcasting's web site, archive.org or the Internet Movie Database ). :D

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
You can find all kinds of stuff on SF - maybe the people's committee in charge of the great firewall spotted something potentially subversive and added SF downloads to the do-not-pass-go list ...

They do all kinds of wacked-out stuff. I think they just get bored and see who they can mess with today :) Those lists are sort of useful but what gets blocked changes too frequently to depend on them. I've always wondered about IMDB though ... closest I can figure is that someone in the US bitched that the Pirate Industry was putting IMDB synopses on the covers of movies. That's why we can't mail CD's out of the country anymore ...

RIAA and SBA are more annoying than the gfw, to tell the truth. You guys can't download movies or software and the gfw never kicked in anyone's door. I'd rather have the gfw. More freedom :P

I'll try putting sourceforge's ip in my dns and see what happens ... news at eleven.

edit: okay, it appears that most of the hangup is the useless goddamned ignorant pos google-analytics and related tracking advertising javascript shit . Useless fucking idiots with their advertising garbage, may they rot in hell. Also the morons who wrote fireflop that can't just skip over links that never resolve, may they rot in hell along with the advertisers.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled commercials.
hamei wrote:
okay, it appears that most of the hangup is the useless goddamned ignorant pos google-analytics and related tracking advertising javascript shit . Useless fucking idiots with their advertising garbage, may they rot in hell. Also the morons who wrote fireflop that can't just skip over links that never resolve, may they rot in hell along with the advertisers.
Thought we'd already had the noscript conversation.....

hamei wrote:
You guys can't download movies or software and the gf never kicked in anyone's door.
Things must be a little more cultured over there - I once had a gf kick in my door. Probably right after she broke the rules and downloaded a copy of Fatal Attraction .

recondas wrote:
Thought we'd already had the noscript conversation.....

Have that on the Irix computer, was using Windows with the latest greatest fireflop. Sucks, but as they say, "A few pussy hairs can tow a ship."

Found this out tho -
Quote:
About Geeknet, Inc.

SourceForge.net is owned and operated by Geeknet, Inc., a publicly traded US-based company.

Geeknet's media and e-commerce web sites connect millions of influential technology professionals and enthusiasts each day. Combining user-developed content, online marketplaces and e-commerce, Geeknet is the global technology community's nexus for information exchange, goods for geeks, and open source software distribution and services. Geeknet's network of web sites serves 34 million unique visitors each month* and includes: SourceForge.net, Slashdot, ThinkGeek, and freshmeat.net.

Shit. Subverted. That answers a lot. VALoonix, yet another *nix disaster. Sold to Dice in September tho, maybe we can hope for a change for the better.

And maybe aliens will land on the roof bearing the secret of life :shock:

wreck wrote:
Things must be a little more cultured over there - I once had a gf kick in my door. Probably right after she downloaded a copy of Fatal Attraction .

They just feed the ducks when they get angry over here :(
hamei wrote:
but as they say, "A few pussy hairs can tow a ship."
Never heard that one - but it does lend a new perspective to the origination of the expression "loose lips sink ships".