Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

5Dwm questions (Wallpaper/Save settings/Desktop location)

Greetings!!

I have 5Dwm up an running on my little linux box here. I customized the toolchest to my needs. but the following I need some help with:
1) How do I change the wallpaper? Which file needs to be edited?
2) I do I get it to save the settings when I exit out. It goes back to the default setting except the toolchest.
3) How can I drag to the desktop. It won't let me drag and drop to the desktop. Not sure if it is a "desktop" folder issue.

I don't recall having the last two issues with my o2. Hmmm.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Probably because your O2 was running IRIX and IndigoMagic.

MaXX is a neat project, but do remember that it is in prerelease, so not everything is there yet.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
Yep you are right SAQ! thanks for the reply

I just fired up the o2 (after sitting for 5 yrs). Seem like my drives no longer are good, I work on it later.

5Dwm is pretty useful even as a "not all there yet" desktop system. Well I got the toolchest set-up the way I want so my photography productivity is smooth. Wallpaper won't change productivity, just make living in the space a little nicer :-) .
I got the gut feeling DR4 might not be making a showing anytime soon. But lets hope so.

I don't know how to set the wallpaper "officially", but I use 5Dwm on my linux box and have been quite happy recreating the Indigo Magic feel with the following command:
Code:
xsetroot -bitmap ~/Pictures/granite -bg rgb:55/55/55 -fg rgb:38/8E/8E

Just copy the file "granite" over from one of your IRIX machines and voila!

Drag and drop doesn't yet work to the desktop itself, but you can get around that using nautilus (yuck) in a Gnome (double yuck) environment:
Code:
/usr/bin/nautilus --no-desktop 2>/dev/null &

Well the desktop righting thing is done via rox pinboard VIA the MaXX's "fm"
The Xsession.dt sets it up

/opt/MaXX/etc/skel/Xsession.dt
Code:
## Start standard applications for each Screen(s)

# might need some work for multi XDisplay system with more that one WM running!

screens=`/opt/MaXX/bin/xlistscrns`

export WORKSPACE=myspace

for screen in $screens
do
xclock -display $screen -geometry +30+602 &
/opt/MaXX/bin/toolchest  -display $screen &
DISPLAY=$screen /opt/MaXX/bin/gr_osview -geometry 350x300+10+700   &
DISPLAY=$screen /opt/MaXX/bin/fm -p=$WORKSPACE &
done

But mines keeps crashing for some reason.

I use "xli" instead of xsetroot to set the background using jpgs when I log in.

Ahh!! I got it working and it is working SUPER SMOOTH!!!!! Well I Think so.

I had to install the latest version of rox. Then I had to set MaXX up to not use the fm for the pinboad (desktop).

Now I got Desktop with little tiny icons for little apps on my desktop. I can just right click and get a Backdrop option where I just drag an image and BAM! I got a image that actually fit on my desktop. When I logout and log back in it is still all there.

I used one of the SGI logos, even though there is nothing SGI really about this workstation except I am using XFS!!

Thanks for the replies it really help to get me in the right direction to make this 5Dwm work.

Nice!
hi guys! you comments and feedback are noted and DR4 will include more documentation on the customization of MaXX Desktop.

On another note... parts of DR4 will start to be available really soon. So don't give up !

Regards,

Eric

SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Hackintosh Q6700 @3.21GHz (saw as MacPro2,1) in G5 PowerMac casing with 9800-GTX2 SLI
Hackintosh [email protected], Dual GTX285
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700
maxxi.desktop wrote:
hi guys! you comments and feedback are noted and DR4 will include more documentation on the customization of MaXX Desktop.

On another note... parts of DR4 will start to be available really soon. So don't give up !

Regards,

Eric

I will be ready!!!

5DWM is my main desktop! To get more from it I'm thinking of replacing my ATI with a Nvidia card. Now I have a LiveCD/DVD back-up of my system with 5DWM (written on the DVD is Ubuntu Studio/MaXXDesktop)

I had to replace the ROX-Filer you had with a newer one, since then things have been super smooth.

It will be nice to have it as a focal point for one of the artist/media linux distro: OpenArtist, Ubuntu Studio, 64Studio or a customized release.

Thanks for your hard work!!!

ROX Filer is an alternative (not ideal). It suffers the GTK+ syndrome... way to many update and incompatibility between distribution.

I run DR4 with 2.9 and things are ok! Base on your amazing screenshot I can see that the icon theme is not set.. Go to ROX settings and set it to IRIX (if your installation of MaXX was done via the installer)

Finally, I do agree that we need a common place for 3D artists and New Media... Maybe MaXX can bridge that cap eventually.

Take care and visit us... things will get back to normal soon and lots of cool new stuff...

Regards,

Eric

SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Hackintosh Q6700 @3.21GHz (saw as MacPro2,1) in G5 PowerMac casing with 9800-GTX2 SLI
Hackintosh [email protected], Dual GTX285
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700