IRIX and Software

MOPAC 7 compilation - Page 2

hey!!! its working now...mhhh :roll:
feeling like a dumb
thanks for help
Just revisiting this old thread...

squeen, are you still running octave? I just dowloaded it from neko's server and I've tried it out and got into trouble:

a=rand(50);
b=inv(a);

and Octave bombs out with:

Unable to start dynamic threads: Operation not permitted

I was wondering if this has something to do with the way it was compiled (threads)? So I tried to get the latest sources and follow the instructions in this thread to build it but, boy did I see a lot of errors...
My octave usage is limited since that is not the only error I've bumped into.
I tried a few weeks ago another port to nekoware, but it was not a determined effort and I gave up for now (may errors).

Basically, last year I got sick and tired of Mathworks dropping IRIX and Octave's C++ spagetti code so started writing a MATLAB compatable replacement in C using lex and yacc. It's native IRIX with threading. shared-memory, Motif GUI, a real-time/parallel processing Simulink replacement and an OpenGL Performer multi-pipe visualization back-end that kicks STK's (Satellite Tool Kit) ass. Unfortunately, since it is work realated (a front-end to our simulator) I cannot release the code unless I can get permission to GLP it. So far it's working out really nice. It's surprising how simple the whole parser is, certainly not worth $50K/yr for maintainace (what we pay for all of our licenses).

Also, I really find it absurd that Octave is such a non-portable pain-in-the-ass since it's a command line program---but that seems to be standard fare for C++ apps (e.g. Celestia, OpenOffice, AbiWord, etc.). Oh well...

That said, I'm gonna try for neko_octave again at some point, just 'cause nekoware wouldn't be complete without it. :)
hi,

I didn't see Octave in the nekoware directory. Is the current build still unstable on Irix?

thanks
mnorton wrote: hi,

I didn't see Octave in the nekoware directory. Is the current build still unstable on Irix?

thanks

We never had a Nekoware version of Octave - just a version I built a while back that doesn't work correctly.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Another revisit to this aging thread:

On an unrealed matter, I figured out what does the "Unable to start dynamic threads: Operation not permitted" error message mean and how to get rid of it:

It has to do with OpenMP created dynamic threads and the ability/willingness of IRIX to create more threads than the number of available CPUs...

So, by setting

Code: Select all

setenv OMP_DYNAMIC FALSE

the error massage goes away and Octave happily computes the values and works OK...so far.

PixelDust1 wrote: Just revisiting this old thread...

squeen, are you still running octave? I just dowloaded it from neko's server and I've tried it out and got into trouble:

a=rand(50);
b=inv(a);

and Octave bombs out with:

Unable to start dynamic threads: Operation not permitted

I was wondering if this has something to do with the way it was compiled (threads)? So I tried to get the latest sources and follow the instructions in this thread to build it but, boy did I see a lot of errors...
Interesting. I haven't really gotten into OpenMP much, but that good to know.
Hello,
I need to use MOPAC a bit, and I'd like to use my o2 for it:

http://www.webmo.net/support/mopac_sgi.html

Compilation is straightforward, but I don't have MIPSpro compilers.

Anyone care to compile a neko_MOPAC ??? ;)

Thanks.

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
Hi!

Has anybody here already tried to compile the final Octave 3.0 ( http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html ) under IRIX?
I would like to play with it, but i'm not very enthused to fight against the compiler for ages... I would give it a try this evening if not somebody else has it already done.

Michael
anyone here a "SILICON GRAPHICS CERTIFIED IRIX ..."ADMINISTRATOR?

1.)
I was wondering how much did it cost you to get the "title" / certificate?

2.)
Was the exam (if any hard??)

3.)
What does the certif. look like

I would love to get one to adorn my walls along with my "machine" collection.

Especially since I am my own network administrator ;)

Amiga 4000 060 & PPC with toaster/flyer
Mac Intel imac 24inch (dual 3 G), Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002 w Dual 1.8G (LEOPARD)
G4 GigE Dual 500 (TIGER/OS9), imac G3 (PANTHER)

Sun Ultra 60, SunBlade 2000 Dual 1G (SOLARIS 10)

PC Gateway DualCore, and other lowly PC's (laptops)
Qube3, RaQ4's,Audiotron,Magnia