IRIX and Software

Compiler/IDL & IDF conflict

This may sound like a foolish question but it is giving me grief. The 6.5 CD set I have has version 7.2.1 of the IDL and IDF CD's. My MipsPro C and C++ compilers are versions 7.3.1. I am getting a error stating the they are incompatable. where can I find a newer version of the IL and IDF CD's?

Thanks In Advance,
James
James,

the latest IDF and DL can be had from SGI directly, but they're probably quite expensive. They should come in a complete IRIX set, a later one, say .23 or so, which can be had from SGI or other resellers.
AFAIK you cannot use an irix version higher than 6.5.19 (or was it 20) to develop with 7.3.1.3m. The later version had special (fucked up) header files targeted to the 7.4 compiler which caused huge compile problems over several os revisions. Personally I stay away from the 7.4 series. Simply not worth the hassle IMHO.

My 2 cents

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
That's a good point. My bad.
Brombear wrote: AFAIK you cannot use an irix version higher than 6.5.19 (or was it 20) to develop with 7.3.1.3m. The later version had special (fucked up) header files targeted to the 7.4 compiler which caused huge compile problems over several os revisions. Personally I stay away from the 7.4 series. Simply not worth the hassle IMHO.

You could always install MIPSpro 7.3.x as a 'module' in /opt, with it's own IDF and IDL. I did that on my Octane, and never noticed any brokeness. I even had 7.2.1 on it (as a module), pretty sure it was there untill about the time I upgraded to 6.5.23
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
That may be true, but I wouldn't recommend this method to someone that does not 100% know what he is doing :roll:

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
EDIT: Post contents removed by moderator. James, this is a 'non-legal' request. ;-) Thanks for your understanding.