IRIX and Software

WINE.......wine not?

this goes to mips compiling gurus...
i was wondering if a wine version for IRIX does exists, or if it is possible to compile from source, if source available... :?
well whatever you do, plz don´t ban my ip, i know it may sound like a nightmare for IRIX devotes
thx in advance
That's not something that can ever run on IRIX. WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". It's a project that attempts to supply an open source API framework that allows native x86 Windows binaries to run on native x86 hardware without the actual presence of Windows.

The problem is that you can never run x86 binaries on MIPS hardware *without* emulation, hence WINE can never work on any non-x86 architecture in the manner you expect. There have been mumblings concerning building a new project that combines a WINE-like architecture with an x86 emulation layer but nothing actually exists at this point.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Are you talking about the project "Darwine" which combines WINE with a x86 CPU emulator? (Opps, I have forgotten the name of the emulator.)
i've heard that combination was still in development, dont´t know...
btw does anybody know if softwindows is still available?
coludnt find it...seems like abandonware
cheers
choza wrote: i've heard that combination was still in development, dont´t know...
btw does anybody know if softwindows is still available?
coludnt find it...seems like abandonware
cheers

Why not try bochs if you really want to emu a x86 box?
shyouko wrote: Are you talking about the project "Darwine" which combines WINE with a x86 CPU emulator? (Opps, I have forgotten the name of the emulator.)

Yes, though Darwine is for Mac OS X only at this point (and doesn't really work yet). A similar approach could enable WINE to work on IRIX but it's still quite a ways off.

I recommend taking a look at SoftWindows 95; it has reasonably fast emulation and will run basic Win32 binaries. SoftWindows 95 originally shipped with O2 (maybe Octane as well) as part of the IRIX package so it's pretty easy to find - it's on the Applications CD on older distributions; i.e. IRIX 6.3 Applications November 1996 813-0599-002 or by itself as Insignia SoftWindows 95 4.0 for IRIX 6.3 and 6.4 812-0690-001 . Newer Applications CDs such as IRIX 6.3 Applications August 1997 813-0599-003 no longer include a copy so watch out for that.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
shyouko wrote: Are you talking about the project "Darwine" which combines WINE with a x86 CPU emulator? (Opps, I have forgotten the name of the emulator.)

Yes, though Darwine is for Mac OS X only at this point (and doesn't really work yet). A similar approach could enable WINE to work on IRIX but it's still quite a ways off.

I recommend taking a look at SoftWindows 95; it has reasonably fast emulation and will run basic Win32 binaries. SoftWindows 95 originally shipped with O2 (maybe Octane as well) as part of the IRIX package so it's pretty easy to find - it's on the Applications CD on older distributions; i.e. IRIX 6.3 Applications November 1996 813-0599-002 or by itself as Insignia SoftWindows 95 4.0 for IRIX 6.3 and 6.4 812-0690-001 . Newer Applications CDs such as IRIX 6.3 Applications August 1997 813-0599-003 no longer include a copy so watch out for that.

I know nothing about those IRIX stuff but I wonder if Bochs + ReactOS would work as well as SoftWindows 95?
shyouko wrote: I know nothing about those IRIX stuff but I wonder if Bochs + ReactOS would work as well as SoftWindows 95?

You can pretty easily try it and see. I've found Bochs to be painfully slow - on MIPS at least - but a version is available on SGI Freeware:

http://freeware.sgi.com/Dist/fw_bochs-2.0.tardist
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
shyouko wrote: I know nothing about those IRIX stuff but I wonder if Bochs + ReactOS would work as well as SoftWindows 95?

You can pretty easily try it and see. I've found Bochs to be painfully slow - on MIPS at least - but a version is available on SGI Freeware:

http://freeware.sgi.com/Dist/fw_bochs-2.0.tardist

Oh, well.
In fact, it's pretty hard for me to try coz I have no access to any SGI hardware, well, I have never touch one!

I'm just applying my Unix knowleadge here.

I'd like to read if someone has experience doing such an experiment.
i installed it a few minutes ago...
i guess it should be no prob trying to run it, cos is very very light what i want to run....
but couldnt run it, since it requires a rom image, i guess its for the system it will run...
will spend more time later with this..
see ya

BTW there is a very low priced Octane 2 on ebay from rhemix for about 375 bucks....
good luck
Yeah, that's another problem with something like Bochs - it's kind of a closed box so it's difficult to get files in/out of it. With SoftWindows it's pretty much drag/drop between IRIX/Windows if I remember right - I haven't used it in a while. I uploaded an old screenshot to the gallery that shows it running Solitaire.
All Rights Reserved.
Finally, I've tried the Bochs + ReactOS combination for myself (On an iBook G4 1GHz).
Painfully slow which makes it impossible to even go throw the setup wizard... :oops:

SoftWindows 95 seems a viable option here.

BTW, any other peecee visualization solution for IRIX?
I fired up SoftWindows again last night and poked around with it a bit - it's actually not too bad as far as GUI responsiveness goes. Another nice feature - it mounts your home directory as a network drive so you can load/save files right on your XFS filesystem. It also shares your system IP without impacting IRIX. It's a shame they didn't develop it past Windows 95 support as it had a lot going for it - lots of similarities to VirtualPC on the Macintosh.

Another popular alternative if you have access to a Windows 2000/XP box locally or remotely is to run Windows Terminal Server and connect to it via rdesktop. The home page for the project:

http://www.rdesktop.org

I even built a package for it a while back (though I do need to update it for Nekoware one of these days):

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/contr ... .0.tardist
All Rights Reserved.
I agree with Neko that Softwindows 95 was nicest, but I couldn't seem to update IE past version 4 and it wouldn't run AutoCAD correctly (But you can load the latest Office).

I now use rdesktop regularly when I need a windows interface (~ 1/month). The SGI freeware sharity package is what I use to mount the windows drives on the IRIX box. You can do it the other way too (IRIX drives on Windoze) using samba -- but I don't know how. (I'd love to see a nekochaner write a HOW-TO-SAMBA on IRIX article for the news site).

Lastly, there is VNC or TightVNC (freeware) client/servers which sends a rasterized desktop across the network. Not as fast as rdesktop, but it works with more OS's. I use the x2vnc component to control the Wintel PC using my IRIX box's keyboard and mouse as an alternate for rdesktop.
squeen wrote: (I'd love to see a nekochaner write a HOW-TO-SAMBA on IRIX article for the news site).

Hey, the work is done since at least year ago! :)

I'll be happy if anyone saves this notes, originally written for "The SGI320 Unofficial Website" (or the whole site, better! => http://www.leupen.com/~remko/sgi/Tutorials/Samba_Tutorial/Samba.htm ) from the omnipresent admin's delete finger!
:lol:

Another mirrors here too: http://320.onemoon.co.uk/

So... here is the Text-Only version...

Connecting Windows 2000 (Client) to IRIX/Samba (Server)

by Diego Alberto De Giorgio
Software Requirements

Windows 2000 Pro (Full or Upgrade version)
IRIX version 6.5.XX+
Samba version 2.2.5+

IRIX/Samba Installation

1. Open "Toolchest/System/System Manager"

2. Choose "Networking and Connectivity", and now choose "Set Up and Start Networking", giving parameters according to your net.-

I use:
Active Network Interface: ec0
IP Address: 192.168.236.86
NetMask: 255.255.255.0

3. Choose "Host Manager" followed by "Add a Host Entry" for each host on your network.

I Use the following: (NIS/DNS/FILES)

NetBIOS Name IP Address NetMask

INDY 192.168.236.106 255.255.255.0
INDIGO2 192.168.236.086 255.255.255.0
SGI320 192.168.236.066 255.255.255.0

Note: Do not use the IP Address 192.0.2.1 as a host entry as this is a self-testing IP probed by SGI. It does not serve or receive data to/from any hardware network interface and therefore should not be used for networking purposes.

4. Install Samba on IRIX 6.5.XX. Samba for IRIX can be downloaded free of charge from the SGI Freeware web site.

5. At this point, you can read briefly "Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf", from "/usr/samba", to resolve any particular need.-

6. Open your default browser (Netscape Navigator) and type under"Location" the following URL: "http://localhost:901/".

7. You´ll have now opened "SWAT", on the home page (image1), with a list of documents that you can read directly within your browser.

8. Now you can create your Samba Configuration File, choosing "GLOBALS" from "SWAT".
Take a look from my own file created using SWAT (image2), on "/usr/samba/lib":

To view the Samba configuration file created using SWAT, click here.
You can download my own file from here: smb.conf

9. Look at "inetd.conf" file from "/etc", taking care to read the following line at the end of file:

#SWAT services
swat stream tcp nowait root /usr/samba/bin/swat swat

You can download my own file from here: inetd.conf

You will also need to add a new line declaring "smbd" and "nmbd" services, if your Samba installation has not taken care of this. For instructions on how to do this see the documentation inside "/usr/samba".

10. Look at "services" file from "/etc", taking care to read the following line at the end of file:

#SWAT services
swat 901/tcp # SWAT

You can download my own file from here: services

11. Restart your system to activate all the new networking services.

12. Open "Toolchest/System/System Manager".

13. Set a password for the Samba admin account by using "Security and Access Control/Modify Your Account Password" (image3).

14. Create a crypted password for Samba, coincident with the prior account pass, using a "Unix Console":

/usr/samba/bin/./smbpasswd - your_user_name

Replace your_user_name with the right user name account.-

15. Open your default browser (eg. Netscape Navigator) and under "Location" type the following URL: "http://localhost:901/". You´ll see both services ("smbd" and "nmbd") start up in the "STATUS" page (image4).

Windows Client Installation

1. Open "Control Panel/Network and Dial-Up Connections/Local Area Connection (Right-Click/Properties)".-

(We are assuming that you have assigned NetBIOS computer name, coincident with the declared on samba; if not, please correct it!)

2. Make sure 'Client for Microsoft Networks' is installed.

3. Make sure 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' is installed

4. Install 'Client for Microsoft Networks" and "TCP/IP protocol' if not present.

5. Open 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'.

6. Declare on 'Use the Following IP Address' the IP for your existing Win2K machine.

7. Declare on 'Use the Following DNS Server Addresses'the IP for your existing IRIX/Samba Server.

8. Click on 'Advanced' and check that the 'IP Adresses' for your Win2K machine is the same as the IP for your IRIX/Samba Server.

9. Use the defaults settings for 'DNS'and 'WINS' name service pages.

10. Open 'My Network Places' and check for the newly connected Samba Server.

11. Double-click on it and enter login and password.

12. That's it! You can now browse your IRIX system on the SGI320.
Thanks Diego -- I must have missed this one!
squeen wrote: Lastly, there is VNC or TightVNC (freeware) client/servers which sends a rasterized desktop across the network.

Yep. Don´t miss to use the true colour option of TightVNC...

I got me an empty teal Indigo2 housing from ebay to put some Wintel crap running NT4 into.
Stacked onto some R10k I2s it looks quite impressive,
but I´d better connect a pedal switch for the frequent reboot M$ products require when running real software.

Unfortunately I did not find out yet how to make NT pass the stupid press-this-and-that alerts so it does not run headless. sigh...

Walther
I've got xsmbrowser 3.40 here is a wrapper scrip that calls samba and you can navigate back to a windows box, I can't get it working ATM becasue of DHCP on the windows box and no domain master or wins server as a result, but it does work well otherwise.

Glenn
Alternatively, you could install 'Services For UNIX' (SFU) on the Windows machine(s). It comes with a NFS server and client which fits nice in a *NIX environment. Various other Windows NFS clients and servers are also there.

I'm wondering though. Is that version on Freeware Sharity or Sharity-Light? Because on their homepage http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity they say non-MacOSX and non-FreeBSD versions need a license.
$ cat TODO
Learn Inner Sanctuary; Act Autonomous; Forge Future; Experience Enthean Enlightenment.
Well wine consists of two parts both a win32 abi and api, now ye install wine on any other x86 os ye be able to run win32 apps (well in theory) now porting wine to IRIX would give you a win32 api (winelib) so if you had the source code to a windows app ye could fairly easily port it to IRIX (think of the POSIX api in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"