IRIX and Software

Diver

Years ago when I was using SGIs at work (Impact 2s, Octanes) I remember using an old program called Diver. At least I'm almost positive that's what it was called. It was a program with a big GUI that would convert across many image formats. I think it would use wildcards or sequences of images, too. There were two sides shown in the GUI, the 'from' format and the 'to' format, with checkboxes for each. So you'd have a bunch of TIFs that you wanted to convert to JPGs, you would mark the 2 formats (maybe the program knew what the current 'from' box should be ticked, I can't remember) and then you'd choose the 'to' format checkbox, run the program, all the images would be converted.

Does that sound familiar? Is that something that still exists?
A demo version is available on Hotmix CDs:

:Octane2: :320:
xnview supports a huge number of image types and can convert from and to a lot of them as well. it also has a terminal program included called nconvert. it's the most comprehensive converter i know of
r-a-c.de
Hot mix 18, apparently: http://www.vertexia.com/Hot_Mix_18/vendors/charybda/index.html

"Charybda's DIVER Batch Software for SGI a number of years ago, Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico-based Charybda used its DIVER software to automate tedious tasks necessary for transferring files with Silicon Graphic's IRIX operating system. DIVER (Digital Image and Video Encoder/Reformatter) automated functions including image file-format conversion, scaling and cropping, file-name manipulation, cross-platform conversion, and transfer to and from most major digital disk recorders. Recorders supported (connecting via a direct SCSI, GIO, or Ethernet connection) include Accom's WSD, RTD, Abekas A66, Abekas Diskus (Abekas is now owned by Accom), or Sierra Design Quickframe.

Users without D-1 recorders could output files to various tape backup systems for later transfer to D-1.

Now, release 3.3 of DIVER includes 10-bit YUV processing, matte-mode processing, and translation to and from Alias|Wavefront's Maya IFF file format. Charybda has improved file selection, and users can move between formats with a simple mouse click. Animators who are not programmers do not have to deal with command-line operations in a shell script; they can do batch image operations directly within DIVER's point-and-click interface. Prices are $1,500 for a single user or $7,500 for a ten-user license. Prices include six months of updates and support. For more information, contact Charybda at (505) 776-1400."

It looks from their website like they've permanently exited the software industry in favor of organic farming... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
nongrato wrote: A demo version is available on Hotmix CDs:

image1.png

That's it, thanks! Wow, that image brings back memories. I didn't realize (or remember) that it did so much more than what I was using it for. Is there something wrong with me that just seeing that GUI puts a smile on my face? I mean, it's not like I'm in the mode for converting images to different formats or anything.