IRIX and Software

Need help with IRIX / Apache2 / PHP5 (https as well)

Okay - have a great Octane2, website up and running - thought I'd try my hand at https (fail), then wanted to try PHP, i.e. index.php and am having a bugger of a time - so far it's a fail and am hoping I'm missing something simple?

Anyone have experience just setting this up and working out of the box as it were?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Karyn
techgrrl - Image Image Image Image Image Image - button pusher, point'n'clicker, photon collector
techgrrl wrote: Anyone have experience just setting this up and working out of the box as it were?

Yes. Ran cyrus, exim (i think), apache and php all on an O2 for several years. All straight out of nekoware.

Then the O2 fried a disk and that was all she wrote ... but that's not nekoware's problem.

What does "fail" mean ? More info required ...

p.s. I don't think I'd do that on an Octane ... the Octane can handle it fine but noise and electricity-wise, maybe an Indy is a better choice ?
Well for https I just edited .htaccess for the rewrite rule, and then went further down the rabbit hole on the net to no avail - as far as php it also seemed simple but think I'm out of my depth - everyone on the web shows a few line solution that has not worked for me - may stick to plain http.
Perhaps if I could see / use a working httpd.conf and php.ini I could extrapolate what I'm missing.

My Octane2 is my baby - glad to have it up and running 24/7 - first time in years it's seen use :)
techgrrl - Image Image Image Image Image Image - button pusher, point'n'clicker, photon collector
techgrrl wrote: ... went further down the rabbit hole on the net to no avail - as far as php it also seemed simple but think I'm out of my depth - everyone on the web shows a few line solution that has not worked for me

Unfortunately, the disk that fried was the boot disk. Just took a look and I don't seem to have saved any configuration files.

Maybe nekonoko will be along after a bit, he ran nekochan off an O2 then an O350 for ages. This bbs software runs on top of php so it's definitely possible :) I had LedgerSMB running on it, too, so even a doofus can conquer those apps. Eventually ..

p.s. I disliked Apache enough so that I am now using SunJavaOneInternetNetcsrapsOneServerToRuleThemAll. It's pretty okay but I don't think has an Urx version. If it were just web serving I'd be looking around for other choices, but if you want php also, maybe Crapache is best :(
Let me preface the following by saying that I have more experience with Apache/PHP on Linux than I do with the Nekoware packages for IRIX. I'm not an expert here.

The default php.ini should suffice for testing, so I don't think you need to worry about those settings until after you get the Apache configuration to run PHP. There are several parts to that. The following should work with the Apache2 and PHP5 packages from Nekoware /beta. If you're using the older stuff from /current the syntax will be different. (But I'd encourage you to use the /beta packages since they're much newer and need to be tested by somebody.)

First off you need to tell Apache to load the PHP module:

Code: Select all

LoadModule php5_module /usr/nekoware/apache2/modules/libphp5.so

Then enable the PHP processor on files with names ending in .php:

<FilesMatch ".+\.php$">
SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
</FilesMatch>

And tell Apache that index.php can be used as well as index.html:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

Restart Apache, and you should be good to go. If not, report back here with any messages from the Apache error logs and/or the web browser.

I haven't tested this on IRIX yet, so I'm kind of extrapolating from what's working on Linux boxes. In particular, be sure to double check the location of libphp5.so in the first configuration step! Also note that the above is a minimalist configuration for testing, just to get up and running. There are some other changes I might recommend later.

Once PHP is running, I'm sure we'll get HTTPS going, too.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
I see what's missing.. #include <Red.Wine>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Jpstewart - good outline, and I thank you - what package contains libphp5.so? Could not find it on my system.

Cheers,
Karyn

Also in some threads I've been reading they say to install 'neko_php5.sw.sapi_apache2' but when I bring up the software manager for the package it doesn't show a check box next to it as 'installable' - it has 'cgi' instead.
jpstewart wrote: I haven't tested this on IRIX yet, so I'm kind of extrapolating from what's working on Linux boxes.

That's really all there is to it. I don't have the original configuration files anymore, at least not in an easily accessible location, but I just basically copied them over to a FreeBSD machine as-is and kept on going. Apache/PHP is Apache/PHP no matter what you run it on.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko - I'm not seeing libphp5.so anywhere - am I missing something?

Cheers ...
It's been years since I've run Apache/PHP under IRIX and I don't have a machine set up to check the tardists on at the moment. I'm sure someone else has a suitable machine and can check on it.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
techgrrl wrote: Jpstewart - good outline, and I thank you - what package contains libphp5.so?

It's in neko_php5-5.2.17.tardist (from /beta).

techgrrl wrote: Also in some threads I've been reading they say to install 'neko_php5.sw.sapi_apache2' but when I bring up the software manager for the package it doesn't show a check box next to it as 'installable' - it has 'cgi' instead.

That's the subsystem that contains it. Does software manager offer any suggestions as to why it isn't installable? Perhaps a missing dependency?
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
techgrrl wrote: Also in some threads I've been reading they say to install 'neko_php5.sw.sapi_apache2' but when I bring up the software manager for the package it doesn't show a check box next to it as 'installable' - it has 'cgi' instead.

jpstewart is right, this is the problem, you've got to figure out a way to get this package installed. Is the software manager complaining of any conflicts? It loves to find conflicts... :x
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Oh goodness me what a huge muck mire of dependencies - stuck at perl-common because I can't find the tardist. :(
techgrrl wrote: Oh goodness me what a huge muck mire of dependencies ...

Yes, that's FOSSY software for you :(

If you look on the downloads page tho, to the right of the tardist description is a list of what it requires. That's not 100% accurate all the time, but in general it tells you what you will need.

The good part is, you get to know exactly what you are installing, unlike the brain-dead package managers that are so popular in other systems.
Regarding HTTPS -- I didn't see any reference to generating certificates or loading mod_ssl...

Resolving the issues keeping PHP from running seems like a good plan. But when that's done, if you didn't mention certificates because you didn't tackle that part, this may not be a bad walk-through . The openssl CLI example should work under *nix as-is (just worked on FreeBSD).
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube: