IRIX and Software

blue meanies :(

The executable's name is xdriver but beyond that I'm coming up short. There should be some foolproof way to extract the &&*^% X resources from a program even if it doesn't want to give it up ?
The time has come for someone to put his foot down ...
editres?
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Silly duck, see the dialog that says "it appears that this client does not understand the editres protocol?" :P

Go to the directory where the executable lives and do strings xdriver | grep "app-defaults" - that will give you the executable class name, then do strings xdriver | grep -i color or bg or bgcolor etc.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Silly duck

mean :lol:
r-a-c.de
vishnu wrote: Go to the directory where the executable lives and do strings xdriver | grep "app-defaults" - that will give you the executable class name, then do strings xdriver | grep -i color or bg or bgcolor etc.

Thanks, vish ! I've been hunting for a key to the Secret Codes hidden in these programs for ages. Editres can be useful but doesn't always work :(

Am I correct that if the application does not specify a color, that's when you get the default blue-meanies look ? So if there is no call to set a color, then there is nothing to find ?
vishnu wrote: Silly duck

As usual, I point to my sig disclaimer...

hamei wrote: Am I correct that if the application does not specify a color, that's when you get the default blue-meanies look ? So if there is no call to set a color, then there is nothing to find ?

Pretty much, the blue backgrounds come from the app using resources, but there isn't a resource value set. I see you have enabled sgiMode, perhaps you could just blanked *background: #cccccc to make it less blue.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
vishnu wrote: ... then do strings xdriver | grep -i color or bg or bgcolor etc.

Sometimes I blunder into this stuff backwards ... Your first suggestion gave me nothing but this one hit the jackpot. Tons of stuff related to < -color >.

So I tried one example started from a teminal. Didn't make any difference to the display but got some feedback. Okay, let's try an SGI color instead of their example color ...

Ooh. Didn't start the program but ran about thirty pages of options past in the terminal window. I'd already tried < xdriver -help > but that just gave back the version then segfaulted.

Anyway, there's a huge number of options, many of them Irix-specific. All you have to do is feed it a bad option to get the list :D

Not sure if I'll ever get the colors more attractive but the hidden treasure was even better. Grazie muchoso, descamisados.
Have you tried setting "sgimode" on in the app-defaults?
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: Have you tried setting "sgimode" on in the app-defaults?

I did now :P

Thanks for the idea, it was an excellent suggestion but alas, this bastard is stubborn as ... better not say.

Some of the options seem to work - for instance, the < xdriver -exit > from another window does kill the process, just like it says. There's an < xdriver - color (panel #) (r) (g) (b) > option, too. But if I try < xdriver 1 255 255 255 > it echoes that correctly as it starts but does nothing. Have tried panels 0 through 10 with no luck.

Thees deevil, she ees stubborn, mon :(
If you do 'strings xdriver' does it spew out a usage? Just by way of example if you do 'strings xclock' it gives (amongst pages of useless dreck)

Code: Select all

Usage: %s [-analog] [-bw <pixels>] [-digital] [-brief]
[-utime] [-strftime <fmt-str>]
[-fg <color>] [-bg <color>] [-hd <color>]
[-hl <color>] [-bd <color>]
[-fn <font_name>] [-help] [-padding <pixels>]
[-rv] [-update <seconds>] [-display displayname]
[-[no]render] [-face <face name>] [-sharp]
[-geometry geom] [-twelve] [-twentyfour]
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan: